1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

our barred rock hen has become lethargic and doesen't eat or drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the rajma, Dec 15, 2011.

1. the rajma

the rajma New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    I hope I haven't waited too late for marry ellen, our barred rock hen and the last chicken that isn't a jungle fowl.
    several days ago she started moving slowly and appeared to be all puffed up as if trying to stay warm, it has just started getting colder here in northern california.
    slowly she gets worse, staying under the heat lamp at the bottom of the coop instead of roosting at night, staying there in the morning until long after the others are out and about, she trys to keep up with the flock as they free range but I see her all alone and resting (naping) and have to go get her at bedtime and put her back in the coop. she was still scratching and eating at first, but I think she has stopped.
    I have been busy job hunting and trying to catch up on other projects so have not been very attentive, i hope it's not too late.
    now that i examine her closely, i see that she has slightly watery eyes, sometimes foamy bubbles are there, she is very skinny, of course, and seems to be having trouble breathing, slow, heavy and sometimes wheezy.
    she doesn't have any external damage that i can see and she is still somewhat alert. she does have some lice,which i just dusted her for.[​IMG] I have brought her into the house next to the fire and given her some water with a syringe. she drank some but when i tried to give her some watered down mollasses, she didn't seem to want any.
    I don't know what else to do for her and can't afford to take her to the doctor. i can probably afford some over the counter antibiotic, but don't know which one is appropriate or even available here in the "protect everyone from everything" state. i'll look online and make some phone calls to see what's available.
    does anyone have any suggestions or is it too late for marry ellen?

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Dont give her molasses, it acts as a flush in chickens. Sounds like she has a respiratory infection. You can purchase tylan 50 injectable at a feed store and dose her orally, 1/2cc once a day for 5 days. The tylan will be in the cattle section.

4. the rajma

the rajma New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    thanx dawg and bama, I'll let you know if i get this done in time.

5. the rajma

the rajma New Egg

Dec 15, 2011
    [​IMG] a hard lesson learned, R.I.P. Marry Ellen
    When my best girl doesn't feel well, I've got to pay attention, right away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by