Our Beginner Chicken Mansion!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by afangel2005, Jul 1, 2016.

1. afangel2005

afangel2005 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2016
    Panama City, FL
    Hello All!

I wanted to share some pictures of our coop/run that was built by me, my husband, and son, complete and total novices to building anything!

The total cost for this was around $1,500. However, we used all brand new wood and had to buy tools, like a saw. We were on a rush to get it done (chickens don't stop growing!) and we didn't take the time to shop around for materials. We bought the actual coop from Chicken Saloon. It is the "Rambler", which is rated to fit 6-10 chicken. Although it seems to be good quality, I would not want my 5 chickens cooped up in the small space that this coop has.

Due to running behind on building our coop, we did have to shut our chickens up in this coop at night time for several weeks. However, once we got the run built, and could leave the coop door open at night, our chickens prefer to sleep on top of the coop. For several nights we would go out and move them from the top of the coop to inside the coop, but we finally gave up. They've been sleeping on top ever since.

We purchased the Garden Coop plans, but some of the building/instructions was over our heads (again, complete beginners!), and we wanted to expand and make it much longer. So we decided to make our own design loosely based on those plans. It was really trial and error. And a lot of advice from the people at Lowes.

We started making panels for the run, 3 ft X 6 ft, with the intent to make in modular if we ever have to take it down. After doing one side that way, we just framed the rest of it out without doing "individual" panels.

We have already made it thru 1 tropical storm, and the coop/run came thru fine! We were really amazed at the sturdiness of teh coop. Although our chickens are able to free range most of the day outside the run, I don't feel guilty if we need to go somewhere and put them up in the run.

We still have some final touches to make, a couple more roofing panels,and another piece of wood along the top to close up the current gap.

Please let us know if you have any questions!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The girls at 6 weeks.

[​IMG]
    Trixie, Ginger, Raven, Daisy, and Chipmunk, now at 14 1/2 weeks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. 8MerryHens

8MerryHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Iowa
    Lovely flock and nice job on the run. They will have a lot of room to roam even when locked up. They look happy in their home.

1 person likes this.
  3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Wow that is amazing, and your girls sure look happy there
    I would've never guessed that you guys didn't have any experience building coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by