Our "best" chick is abusive to her sisters (dramatic pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sixpantsmaloney, Jun 12, 2008.

1. sixpantsmaloney

sixpantsmaloney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    I'm surprised just how aggressive our one chick is. This is our biggest, bravest, and most fun to have chick. But recently she's pecking the back and breast of 2 of the 4 in the brooder.

We removed her for a night and everyone healed. Upon reintroducing her after 24 hours she started at it right away--and there wasn't any blood!

This chick is so funny. She'll fly out of the prison brooder, walk down my workbench, roost on a piece of wood, then jump to my shoulder. She's an endearing bird but a psycho.

Yes, I had white light. Now it's just daylight and it's still happening. There's enough room in the brooder. I've heard lots of wives tales about why this happens. At this point we're going to have to give Betty away unless we can somehow make her think she's not top-dog (err.. bird).

UNLESS... if SHE were actually a HE I wonder if this would explain it?

Cheers,
    Brian

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Got pics?

3. nakactress

nakactress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Utah
    I have on of those too. In fact, she's injured 2 of the others. I have plenty of space and they are all the same age. I hope to get the coop built this weekend so I can move them but it breaks my heart.
    I cleaned them up and one of the injured, I think she died from the stress of me cleaning the blood of her. While I was tending to her, her breathing got interesting and she became very calm. Sadly when I checked on her last night she was no longer alive. I haven't told my kids yet. ;-(

4. HenniePennie

HenniePennie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2007
    Oregon
    I have had some problems in the past with my meat birds. One or two of them decided to start pecking at anothers comb. I purchased some [i]"No Peck" [/i]at my local feed store. It is a small bottle and is the consistency of elmers glue. It tastes nasty to them. I also have a small aresol can of Blue Coat, which does the same. It isn't blue tho it is actually purple.
    They both help to stop the bleeding & once a chick pecks at it & tastes it they quit pecking on the other chick.
    I don't like bullies [​IMG]

5. sixpantsmaloney

Apr 21, 2008
    I do have a funny "prison" photo. It looks very dramatic, as though we had LIFE come out and shoot our disturbed chicken.

[​IMG]

6. sixpantsmaloney

Apr 21, 2008
    I'm developing a sociological theory of chicken pecking order that involves human perception. Here it is:

By separating the offending chick, or the weak chick, we upset an inherent means of creating social structure within the flock. We do this because, being kind-hearted, we project our own concepts, morals, and world view upon chicks who (lucky for them) come with a social hierarchy hardwired into them.

So I put the bully chick back into the brooder. What happens is what happens. At least I'm not trumping their predilection to construct a hierarchy.

That sounds like a thesis topic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by