Our Betty Bob had a bad wound. Help Please!!!!

Nardi Homestead

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
Western NY
Hi! I posted about a week ago about our Silkie hen Betty Bob. She had lost weight and was infested with Scaly Leg Mites. We assumed she has wry neck due to a vitamin defieciency or head injury. She has done really well in the house and seems to have put in a bit of weight already. She has still insisted on tucking her head under and seems really weak. She is very interested in eating and drinking when prompted. However tonight I discovered a wound on her neck. I thought her face felt really warm over the last few days but I chalked it up to keeping it tucked under her. She also has been a very messy eater so I didn't think anything of the crusty feathers on her neck and chest. Tonight though I noticed her face was puffy and under her chin seemed swollen. So I inspected closely and found a gash on her neck that has obviously been there for a little while now. It looks infected although there's no puss coming out of it. She has been scratching at her neck and trying to peck at it as well(I thought she was trying to clean her food off her). She's still alert and wanting to eat. She was even talking to me tonight a bit while I sat with her in our bathroom where she currently is residing. I just don't want to prolong any agony or disrespect her but I feel like she hasn't given up so I can't either.

After all that here is my question. Should I take her to the vet? Can I give her antibiotics myself from Tractor Supply? What do I do about wound care?

We just can't lose our sons best friend. And I literally mean Our Sons Best Friend! We have worked tirelessly for the last week to keep her alive and ensure our son will have his Betty Bob to tote around in his tractor and swing with!

Thank you to anyone who helps!! I love this chicken community!

I would try to get some kind of antibiotic (tetracycline) common OTC, also you should try to wash the wounds as best you can and apply polysporin or another kind of antibiotic cream. For the scaly leg mites soak her feet in warm soapy water for about 10 min. then lube both feet with vasoline, do this 1-2 times per day for 2 weeks. Also have you checked for lice?

We took care of the scaly leg mites and we did have lice but we kicked them out! We got the leg mites and lice after ordering from a hatchery we had never ordered from. Which we will never do again! We put Ivomec Eprinex on her about a week ago. I miscalculated and she's been in the house for two weeks now. Ugh. Time flies! The wound must have happened after we brought her in the house. I just can't figure out how. Maybe her own claw? She's still voraciously eating though. I will send the hubby out for some chicken first aid supplies and antibiotics! Thank you! Do chickens heal from wounds pretty easily?

If they are well treated and kept away from others that can potentialy peck at her, then ya they do. I hope she gets better.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom