Our Bronze Turkey laid these, BR daddy? UPDATE, new pix of the chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kararae_, May 1, 2009.

1. kararae_

kararae_ Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Gold Country Foothills
    What do you think? The eggs are a bit larger than our chickens', and our Turkey is a Bronze and White. We have wild turkeys all around us in the hills, and when 'Dolly' ran off at times we figured she was out with the wild boys. We brought half her clutch in, lots of predators, so that we can raise and give them back to her when bigger, but the chicks really do look like BR's. No turkey neck, no turkey coloring, wild chicks are similar to Araucana chicks, somewhat striped and mottled as camoflage, but our chicks are black with a white spot on their heads, typical BR chicks.
    Anyone ever hear of this hybrid cross and if so will the churkeys or turkins, ?, be larger than normal? Dolly is larger than a standard wild turkey hen but has the slender body type and style.
    Darn that copious copulator, Booster the rooster!!!

I have a few pix, let me know what you think! Thanks, K

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

We'd LOVE to see those pics! Lots of info in FAQ or by searching to help you with pics.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Well, it is not possible for a turkey to mate with a chicken. Maybe you ended up with chicken eggs that one of your hens was hiding, and the turkey found them. Have you ever had turkey chicks before? The wild ones kinda look like chicks, but gangly.

4. kararae_

May 1, 2009
    Gold Country Foothills
    Hmmm, I'm posting a few pix right now so you can take a look for yourself. I also posted an egg, no, it's not a chicken egg, it's larger, harder shelled, ivory colored with brown speckles. I posted a icture of our turkey hen on nest, and a few of the chicks, we have 6 from her, and some are more marked than others. Don't know if that has to do with the sex of the chick or another factor.
    All the turkeys and chickens from our first brood were raised together, I am new at the hatching thing, so I just didn't know if cross breeding was possible. Any help would be welcome.
    Please ignore the 'Canas we added. I figured if we're doing the chicks in our home thing again this year we might as well add to our flock...[​IMG]

5. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    no pictures yet....

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    It is possible, unlikely, but possible. You must post photos as time goes by.

7. kararae_

May 1, 2009
    Gold Country Foothills
    [​IMG]jpg][​IMG][/URL][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. kararae_

May 1, 2009
    Gold Country Foothills
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks to y'all for helping me figure this picture posting thing out!
    Now, these chix sure do resemble BR's...
    I'll keep updating the pix as they grow and see what comes of this. Right now they just don't look like turkeys, not lanky enough? We'll see...
    Thanks again for all who replied and helped [​IMG]

9. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Those are chickens. Not turkeys. I have no idea what the heck you have going on. Are you SURE they came out of turkey eggs?

10. kararae_

May 1, 2009
    Gold Country Foothills
    I swear it Mrs. Puff! Our turkey is still on the nest, there were 2 dead chicks just like the ones we brought in who are in those pictures and the shells were, cracked open like some had hatched. They were under her wing, the eggs are completely different from our chickens, we have Barred Rocks, Araucanas and Rhodies, nothing even close to the ivory speckled eggs under Dolly the turkey.
    I am confused. Everyone says it's not possible, but we have no brooding hens, so even if the eggs they lay are fertile, the nests are not tended so the eggs won't be incubated. I have no idea what's goin' on in my yard!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by