Our brooder!

rambunctious

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Ohio
We have 16lil chicks coming in 9 days! Next week, I'll get the bedding and lamp ready! It's 4x3 made out of scrap found materials.

Last edited:
It's a good looking design, with a handy way to manage heat. Is there netting or chicken wire or something covering them? They will start jumping and flying out in the first week if not. Also, 16 chicks will be overcrowded by 4 weeks, when the optimum space is more like 1 sq ft per chick. After 4 weeks they do better with about 2 or 2.5 sq ff per chick, til 8 weeks, when they do best with 4.

Yea- there is netting! I just didn't get that great of a photo of it! The top/sides are covered with 1" poultry netting. We plan on them being in there for about 4 weeks. If it looks longer- we'll separate the flock for a lil bit!

Real nice job! I have been on the lookout for a brooder, and the other day I found a great 3' x 4' x 1' wooden box at a local sign company. I guess a store sign had been shipped in it. I grabbed it up and put it in my van. I am going to bookmark this post because I like the way you added that wire covered top. Best of luck with your new chicks. Mine are arriving the week of April 8th. I can'r wait.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom