Our broody gave up on one egg, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jster, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    It's still moving! We can tell there's a chicken doing okay in there, and because we accidently killed one yesterday (feel horrible about it) we're especially glad to have a chance to save one.

I put it in my bra (fairly well endowed with a nice big pocket there). Should we set up a brooder? The four chicks that made it are under their mama keeping warm on this cool tady. Anyone hatch a chicken in their bra?!?!?

Help!

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i cant help you but I understand what you mean about having room [​IMG]

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I hatched one in my bra. Same thing happened, mama left it on the nest. I ended up helping it hatch cause I didn't want to sleep with it there. I lucked out, it was ok. If it hatches, let it dry and put it under mom in the evening, when she has hunkered down with them. She can't count, she'll never know you added one.

4. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Never heard of the bra method, but isnt there a concern about air around the egg, so that it can transpirate? Just a thought!

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    That should work! Once there was a girl on the "other" BYC who tried to hatch an egg in her "brabator" from day one. It developed but never made it out of the egg. But the conditions weren't optimum in her case. In yours, you just want to keep the precious little thing warm until it hatches. Hope it works. Don't leave us hanging!!! [​IMG]

6. Jster

Dec 11, 2007
    Quote:To tell you the truth, there's plenty of room and air around the egg. Some will understand [​IMG]

We're giving it a try but also got out the heatlamp and are trying to set up a makeshift brooder...I don't want to worry about it at night. I'm also a little worried about all the jumping around.

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I would set your heat lamp up get the temp to 100 ish, put a bowl of water in there for hum and put the egg in there to see if it hatches.

8. Jster

Dec 11, 2007
    Oh, we feel so foolish. [​IMG] There was a weird scratch along side the egg and I swear it was moving in the brooder box we set up. So we decided to open it. I candled it to make sure the airpocket was at the right spot and should have noticed it didn't look full. But we opened it...and saw a yolk!! Just a yolk! We're such nuts and maybe were so over stressed because our chickens were on the agenda at city council last night...so we all were imagining the movement. Wow. Is there a bag I can hide under? Guess this is my best option [​IMG]

But, the good news is our city council decided to allow TEN CHICKENS!! Yay! And Mama hen does have 4 chicks, so she's fine, and we have homes lined up for them. It's all good all around.

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG] We all make mistakes !!! Only makes yah a little crazy !! We still luv yah on BYC [​IMG]

CONGRATS on the babies [​IMG]

10. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by