Our broody hen just hatched out 12 chicks...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sloper74, Apr 18, 2007.

1. sloper74

sloper74 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

She already has that "frazzled new mom" look on her face. With all the death and tragedy here lately, it's great to see some new life. Hope this makes you smile, even if just for a moment.

2. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    Cool! Do you know what breed they are?

3. sloper74

Jan 13, 2007
    I really don't have a clue. The mom was hatched out from a white rock mom and a RIR dad, I'm guessing. The chicks dad could be Aracauna (we had 5 Aracauna roosters until we butchered 4 of them last week) or RIR.

We actually didn't even know "Jane" was missing til a few days ago..I was out in the garden and see this chicken race out of our old buck pen up the hill to where the other chickens are fenced, she got food and water, and raced back. We followed her and there she was, sitting on 19 eggs.

Hopefully, they're not all roosters!

4. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Adorable! And great pic! I especially love the little fellow over checking out the dish.

How cool is it that they are so many different colors!

5. sloper74

Jan 13, 2007
    They're out and about foraging now, she has 16 chicks (we miscounted) following her around. So precious.

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Now THAT is what I like to see..all healthy looking (even mom) and active- such an adorable family pic! I can't wait to let one of my girls hatch a few chicks. I do plan to try the incubator way soon, but more so for the experience and educational value (homeschooled kids). I just think looking at your picture that that is just the way it should be-nature's way. Did mom have any eggs that did not hatch?

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh goodness but they are adorable!!!!

What a nice surprise!!!

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Adorable!

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Mom's beautiful but my favourite chick is the chocolate coloured one...[​IMG] You gotta name him/her Cadbury...

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Death and Tragedy? Oh my...im so sorry....but what a great little ray of sunshine you have there. A new momma and her babies. Smile on!
    She is BEAUTIFULL and so are her babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by