Our Button Quail is being a bully to the Coturnix! ??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by The Critter Place, Oct 3, 2011.

1. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    My little female button has been in with 8 Coturnix since hatching.
    Tonight after cleaning the cage I hung out and was just watching everyone, and she started to attack the Jumbo Coturnix!
    She would run around and peck on their heads! A few got mad and chased her, so she is now separated.

I also noticed the "foamy" discharge from the male Cots today on the paper in their cage. They are 6 weeks now.

And yesterday, we got a male Button who has been crowing and calling.

So,
    Is her hormones kicking in because they are all maturing and she knows a male is close by? Wanting her own space and taking it out on the Cots?

I'm really puzzled by her behavior tonight. She's been a perfect angel up to today.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I believe the hormones are kicking in my friend. It is funny how buttons get the little man syndrome [​IMG]

3. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:[​IMG]

Hubby called it "little bird syndrome" .

O.k. well she's getting her own cage tonight. And in a few weeks I'll put her with the new Male.

Thanks!

4. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Quail drama! [​IMG]

It has just started in my flock of 5, too. One of my birds has a bald back head! [​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    If there is no blood, I am thinking dominance has started or they are mating, Missy. Watch out with bobs. They can be naughty sometimes [​IMG]

6. Missi

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    [​IMG] I better never see blood! I didn't think they were old enough to be aggressive, but what do I know [​IMG] Darn. You want some bobs if I have to separate any? [​IMG]

7. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Uh Oh.. Not yours too Missi. [​IMG] I hope it's just a little phase.

I was so surprised last night watching that little quail bully the big ones. Like a Chihuahua after a German Shepard. [​IMG]

She's now in her own cage until I can put her with the male we just got. They call back and forth and are driving my dogs nuts! ROFL!

8. Missi

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Crazed dogs are fun to watch as well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by