Our Cadillac Coope Deville [Warning: 39 Pics]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CorporateGranola, Aug 5, 2010.

1. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chirping

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    This spring, my wife and I decided [on a whim] that we wanted to raise some chickens for eggs. No meat for us, thanks! <3 This is a pictorial log of our journey from framing to finished coop - we're very proud of our work, and hope that the BYC community can get some inspiration from our pet project. My father was a huge help, and I'm so grateful that we could do this together. Please take a moment to provide some feedback, we'd love to hear your thoughts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Outstanding Job!!

3. carrlr

carrlr Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Wow, that's truly awsome. Only because of the safety of your chickens, I have one thing to point out, and you may have already figured this out. It appears you have a cord tied to your latch, obviously so you don't get locked in. If your chickens are as inquisitive as mine, they could likely jump up and pull that string, accidently unlatching the door. I would recommend the cord not "hang" like it is. Do you have an estimated cost of this "pet project"? Great job.

4. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Wow

5. I really like the details in the window and the roof. Modern Craftsman chicken coop, it looks really nice, well done.

My only question is how are you going to keep animals from digging into the coop from the bottom in the gaps between you block foundation and the frame?

6. CorporateGranola

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    @carrlr
    The plastic cord was really just a temporary solution - we have a braided hemp [beaded] cord as the pull now. The outside will be secured using a padlock, so the girls will be perfectly safe in their enclosure.

@AllTheseCreatures
    The cinder-blocks are just there to keep the structure leveled. The space that you see isn't actually open, there is hardware cloth buried +12 inches underground to keep digging predators from getting into harm our girls.

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Looks GREAT ! [​IMG]

8. carrlr

carrlr Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Excellent. How many girls are you planning on??

9. CorporateGranola

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    We currently have 9 in our brooding room [i.e. the sunroom in our house] and will probably stick with that number unless I can convince my beloved wife to let me build an addition to the coop. [​IMG] I have a feeling I'll be grovelling soon though. They are just too precious!

-=CG=-

10. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chirping

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    That's a beauty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by