Our Central CA coop in Progress

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SimpleSonflower, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SimpleSonflower

SimpleSonflower Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is our coop in progress. My hubby is pretty handy! He decided to put a cement footing around the bottom to keep animals out and also a real roof so it will keep it dry in the winter. We positioned the coop in the back of yard under a tree and between the kid's fort and my garden. That way I can have handy access to all the wonderful chicken manure for my garden and composter. If you notice, the henhouse has a linoleum floor for easier cleaning and the nesting boxes will be on the sides with an access for eggs outside of the coop. The front of the henhouse will have a swinging door so we can close it in the winter but leave it open during the summer. It gets pretty hot here (100's). Look closely and you'll see that he even installed a faucet for me inside the coop! Boy, I love this man [​IMG] I'll post some pics of the electrical on the inside next time.
    Hope all of your coops are coming along too![​IMG]

By the way, what do you all think about painting the inside of the henhouse? Should I leave it just wood? Is paint on the inside okay for the chickens?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Your coop is coming along nicely and I can't wait to see the finished product! [​IMG]

I have no idea about the paint, but I'm sure someone will come along and be able to answer that question for you!

3. PapiChoso

PapiChoso Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Lawrenceville, VA
    I've seen interiors with paint and without. I think it's really just a matter of personal preference. Once the paint dries, I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be safe for your chicks.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Looks GREAT!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by