Our chick was attacked, missing some skin on it's neck, need some care advice!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jktowey, Dec 20, 2016.

1. jktowey

jktowey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    We have a broody hen caring for 5 chicks (about 3 weeks old), and they are currently separated from our two other birds, a hen and a rooster. One of the chicks managed to get through our barrier, and was attacked while we were out today.

We came back to find that either the hen or the rooster had pecked away at her neck, and it looks like they may have pecked hard enough to remove skin. The vet clinic is currently closed, is there anything we can do for her until tomorrow? I have sprayed antibiotic spray on the area, and have quarantined her away from the rest of the chicks and mama hen (I tried to reunite them, and mama hen kept picking at the chick's injury).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Get some blue-kote and spray it on baby's wound. TSC should have it, but murdoch's definitely will if it's not at TSC. It's supposed to taste bad to chickens, and it's purple, so after one peck, they'll quit - hopefully. I've never used it, so I don't know. I would recommend spraying veterycin instead of anit-biotic spray. It doesn't use any chemicals, so it (supposedly) doesn't sting, keeps out infection, and helps it to heal faster (by increasing oxygen flow to the wound)
    I kinda want to say put her back, but then she might die... grr. Try it again later with some blue-kote. Keeping her seperate might stress her out, especially if she's alone.

I don't think you need to take her to a vet. If it's just a small wound, and her spine isn't injured, then just keep putting anti-biotic spray on it, and she'll be fine.

3. jktowey

jktowey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    It's almost the entire back of her neck. I just noticed a flap of skin that isn't attached, too. I'll see if the feed store has blue-kote or veterycin tomorrow. Everything is closed right now =(

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Still, as long as her spine isn't injured, you don't need to take her to the vet. Chickens are very resilient, so as long as she can eat and drink, she'll be fine.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

Good luck with the chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by