Our Chicken Adventure - New Chicken People

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mikelchavez, Dec 26, 2016.

1. mikelchavez

mikelchavez New Egg

Dec 26, 2016
    Coos Oregon
    [​IMG]

Three mistakes we made raising chickens and ducks for the first time

When I was working 40+ hours a week in an office, I would use my breaks to daydream about not being in the office. My favorite daydream was having chickens, more specifically how much fun our family would have raising chicks and hens. Usually the scene in my head was my daughter and I, dressed the part in denim overalls and rubber boots, racing across a yard of daisies to collect the morning’s fresh eggs from our odor free coop. Yes, that would be just picture freaking perfect! No more copy machines, budget requests, and annual reports for me! I would trade it all in for a pitchfork and a straw hat. Read More
    [​IMG]

This is our TajMa Coop. We landed on this after spending $300 on a pre-fab from a farm store.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They say the first egg costs thousands of dollars. After that, they're free.

I don't see ANY ventilation in that building.

3. mikelchavez

mikelchavez New Egg

Dec 26, 2016
    Coos Oregon
    We cut some ventilation. I should post a newer picture which has the venting now. I learned that from Backyard Chickens. :)

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Shoot for 1 sq. ft. of opening per bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by