1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our Chicken have Wet Pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eurodressage, Apr 1, 2008.

1. eurodressage

eurodressage New Egg

Apr 1, 2008
    A few days ago we discovered one of our Orpington chickens with wet pox. It had a cheesy looking ulcer-like clot in her mouth and had difficulties breathing. We put her in quarantaine together with the rooster who had a bad cold and was infecting the others with his cold. Yesterday the sick chicken had to culled because it hadn't eaten in four days and it was getting horrible.

Today we searched the internet and found out that they have wet pox. We inspected all others. Eight of our stock of ten are infected (either with yellow dots down their throats, or already small lumps of yellow in their beak). They are now all in quarantaine.

On the internet it says vaccination can only be done as a precaution. Is there another cure for the sick chicken we have now. We dread having them killed and are searching frantically for a cure.

Can anyone help?

Astrid

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I am sorry for what you are going through. According to my reseach, there is no treatment and the wet version is the worst since it impacts the respiratory tract and makes it difficult to eat and breathe.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disviral.htm

3. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Are you sure its not canker? Usually with the diphtheritic form of pox there is also lesions on the face and wattles

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by