our chicken is badly injured in the neck,,don't know what to do..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by joanne00927, Sep 14, 2010.

1. joanne00927

joanne00927 New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
    our chicken has been attacked last saturday night and we don't know what it is.. 2 of her chicks were missing but the remaining are all perfectly fine.. she has wound in the neck and no feathers in that area...she's really weak, she almost can't stand...she can't eat but drinks a little..will she be alright?..what should i do?..

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Wish I could help. I've never had a chicken with an open wound other than a small one from being picked by other chickens. You might want to clean the wound and at least put some blue kote on it. Maybe stich or steri-strip it closed.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Clean iit gently, fill with antibiotic ointment (without pain reliver!), put her on an oral or injected antibiotic andfeed an extra nutritious diet.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I keep seeing this. What you need to avoid is drugs that end in "caine," such as benzocaine, lidocaine, cetacaine, etc. The pain reliever in Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment is a completely different drug and perfectly safe for chickens. Read the label.

5. joanne00927

joanne00927 New Egg

Sep 14, 2010
    thanks for the tips...
    i'm trying to clean it up but she doesn't want to be touched...she keeps on moving and i think im giving her more stress...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by