Our Chicken McMansion

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JaneJohnReed, Aug 16, 2013.

1. JaneJohnReed

JaneJohnReed Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    South-central Iowa
    Our original coop was a pretty small chicken tractor. We lost three of our six chickens to the neighbor's dog so free ranging them became very rare. And, we really wanted to not only get our flock back up to six birds but actually expand it to perhaps twelve. It seemed the tractor was too small for six girls to properly exercise in, let alone twelve. So, we started looking for how to set up something that would work better. We spent a lot of time reading anything we could find here and looking at all the great pictures. This is what we came up with:

We bought a 10' x 12' wooden lawn building from a lumberyard. It has a full ridge vent and large double doors. It lacked windows and other features to make a coop, so we went to work. Here we've added windows - opposite of each other - and have framed in the 12' x12' run.
    [​IMG]

Here's the opposite view showing the run without the 1/2" hardware cloth installed.
    [​IMG]

We added a partition to separate the 'human area' from the 'chicken area' that will house our supplies and some gardening equipment.
    [​IMG]

Here's our roost with poop tray underneath. We're using a 'chicken litter' that's actually a horse product to eliminate odor and to make cleanup all so easy.
    [​IMG]

The nesting boxes are cantilevered outside the coop to save space and make egg gathering simple. Here we had two of the boxes blocked off but they're open now.

[​IMG]

This is our chicken door (simple out-swing type, but we drool over the automatic doors out there), and grit feeder (from Petco).
    [​IMG]

And, here's our PVC pipe / Petco tray feeder. It holds three gallon of feed and works well.
    [​IMG]

We use wood chips inside and in the nesting boxes, and have just started putting sand in the run (boy, that's gonna take a bunch of bags). We are extremely happy with our coop and thank all of you for being here and giving us so many good ideas on how to build something that works so well for us. Oh yeah, the girls love it too!

1 person likes this.
  2. jayjay123

jayjay123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    Nice coop :)

3. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Lucky chickens! Great coop!

4. bradleyscott

bradleyscott Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Southeast oklahoma
    I just finished doing the same thing with my old storage shed. My chickens are so used to not having a decent coop they won't go in there.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Great coop! I love the poop board.

6. Sophia5

Sophia5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Lucky Chickens alright!!

7. Math

Math Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Very nice coop. Show us how you collect your eggs and show us your waterer.

8. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    You've made a great coop.

9. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Love it!! Great coop.

10. AnnetteE

AnnetteE Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Texas
    Very nice coop. How long would three gallons of feed last & does it stay fresh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by