Our Chicken Tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ni22, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ni22

ni22 Chirping

Jan 20, 2013
    Just wanted to share because I got the idea from scouring the many awesome ideas on here! We can't really free range because our property is not fenced and I worry about ground and sky predators. Anyhow....I made this so that we can let them out of their stationary run for some grazing but not risk their safety, when weather requires we will cover part of it with a tarp and I have a portable nesting box that I will put in there when the chickens need it but they are not laying yet.This is 4x8 and just over 5 feet tall in the center. We only have 4 chickens so it is a good size. It is light enough that I can drag it around by myself and I can get in and out of it easily, I can also stand up in it though my husband cannot. I did make it so that I can fill it with water to add extra weight. Also, it was easy enough to build that I didn't need my husband's help! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jharper

Jharper Songster

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Looks really nice.

3. Looks like a nice run :) Remember that the chickens will want something in there so they can escape the hot sun sometimes too though. Is that pvc pipe? I've been thinking of using that for a portable chicken run in the garden. I want something simple and light that I can move around easily. Looks like that fits the bill lol great job!

4. ni22

ni22 Chirping

Jan 20, 2013
    Yes, there will be a tarp on it- we just haven't done that part yet. It is made from PVC that I spray painted, I didn't like it white because frankly it was ugly. It took about 4 cans of spray paint though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by