Our chickens attacked the census woman!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lengel, May 22, 2010.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Our home is listed as a two family even though it's not. We keep it that way because if we put it back, we will never be able to get it to a two family again because of new town regulations. I filled out the census form for the "second" family, saying that the basement was vacant but apparently this was confusing so a census taker showed up today. She went all the way down the hill to the back of the house to see if she could scare up any tenants in the basement. And that's where the chickens free range.

Long ago, I realized that free ranging would not work unless I figured out some trick to get the chickens to come to me. Catching them is not an option. So I took one to our dog trainer who is also a behaviorist and who started clicker training on chickens. We talked and she showed me how to teach them to peck something that was a particular color, then I would click and the chicken would get rewarded. I put a lot of thought into it and, since this is apple country where apples are cheap and tomatoes grow well, I decided to train them on the color red. So now, I just take an apple or tomato out back, hold it up and yell, "Chickens!!" The yelling gets their attention and if I'm holding something red, they come running. This is a pretty spectacular process. Some fly, others run. It looks like a swarm of poultry coming at me. Then I throw the object away from me before they get tangled up in my feet and they target this then eat it.

I don't wear red.

The census woman does.

Next thing we know, the census woman is at the front door and DH is explaining why she was swarmed by 15 or so chickens who just would not leave her alone.

She probably should have called first.

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG]

3. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    [​IMG]

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Oh, that's just too funny [​IMG]

5. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    [​IMG]

My rooster chased the census man away. That was pretty funny, but your story is better. [​IMG]

6. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank You, I needed that!

edited because I can't type tonight.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  7. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Thats too funny! [​IMG]

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    OMgoodness! [​IMG] Great story!

9. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG] Now I want to clicker train my chickens! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ours didn't call first either and Ken made her follow him around feeding the horses, stomping through the coops, gathering eggs, etc. It was priceless. She told him everything is confidential and then asked his name. He said "If it's confidential, why do YOU need to know?" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by