Our chickens died today

mendozer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 27, 2011
seattle
I just got a call that our girls died in the middle of afternoon. I'm out of town, so I'm furious that I wasn't home to watch them. A flap was found in the fence and I think the dog next door got in. I can't see the chickens' bodies so I dont know what happened. I'm extremely mad about this because I poured my heart and soul into them and just finished building a new coop and I was just about to post the pics because I was excited. I don't know how to react to this.

My question is what to do with them. I won't be home for another week. I don't want to bury them like a dead stray. What does everyone else do? Burn em? Bury em? Eat em?

I'd appreciate the input

thanks

So sorry for your losses..
sad.png
Don't give up.....sometimes it takes a bit to figure out HOW to build Alcatraz for your neighborhood...but you CAN do it...once you figure out all the enemies. Sorry this happened to you
sad.png
I think I would bury or burn them
sad.png

OMG !I am so sorry about your chickens! I would call the neighbor and have them go survey the damage their dog has wrought. As for body disposal, funeral pyres work.
hugs.gif

I had my sister talk to the neighbor but all they said was "well we tried to fix the fence but your landlord didn't want to" so I'm trying to get in touch with her.

I'm trying to think if I should replace them right away. They meant a lot to me since they were my first ones, but I think my girlfriend and sister are more affected because they're emotional like that. I enjoyed raising them from chicks, but I want eggs now. And I just bought 50 lbs of food I don't want going bad. But if I get hens, i don't know if I'd enjoy them the same.

I'm just so ticked I wasn't there to defend them. I'm always walking around between the garage and yard so I would have killed that fricken dog. I built that coop and run completely solid and didn't know the fence was that brittle. We've been at the new place for about 2 months and nothing has happened up until today.

Quote:
I'm sorry for your loss. I wouldnt run out and order chicks or buy chickens right now. First of all you have to find out what happened and assess the situation. Then strengthen your pen. It's possible that even if you were there, the dog couldve possibly got in the pen at night or even if you had made a run to the feedstore to get something...there are many possibilities. I understand your frustration... calm down and get your head together and dont end up getting in trouble...not worth it. Wait a couple weeks after you get your pen fixed and then order new chicks. You stated you loved raising them and I can tell you're a good caregiver. Keep in touch with us and up to date on everything including when you get your new chicks. Good luck.

our pen is fine. The 4th side of the run is the wooden fence between our houses. Our wire fencing and coop is built better than any other coop. I took so much time enforcing it with 14 gauge steel fencing. It's just that they got through the wooden fence.

Quote:
Same here. I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose any of them. When you get home, bury them and tell them goodbye, and then reinforce the coop so that nothing can get in. Chicken wire isn't enough. You need hardware cloth.
hugs.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom