1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Our chickens hated us going on vacation!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedfogsFlock, Aug 25, 2010.

1. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    I am convinced that our girls missed us! Recently my hubby & I went on vacation for 11 days. My Mom & older Son came & fed & watered everyone every two days or so. Our roosters chased our son at first, lol. He was an intruder & they didn't like it. So we told him to snatch em up & carry them around like a baby on their backs while he fed. After about the 3rd day they were fine with him stealing their eggs. (so to speak) Now when we left we would get 10 eggs every day! Day 4 Mom calls me, there were only 3 eggs today. Day 6 Mom calls me again, only 1 egg today. By day 7 no eggs!

So vacation is over we come home, & before even unpacking our vehicle I go out to my flock. First thing our geese sound the intruder alarm, so i'm like what???? EVERYONE comes a running! By day 3 we were back up to 9 eggs a day! lol My mom was so mad, she says nope they don't love me like they love you! I'm thinking hey isn't that how it's supposed to be? lol

I love my birds! EACH ONE OF THEM!

2. trunkman

trunkman Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Isn't it great how they get to know you and know when you're going to give em a treat. They are creatures of habit for sure... [​IMG]

3. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Exactly!!! I love that about them too! They know us & their schedule! Kind of like how when we come home during the week & they will chase my DH down in the truck because they know he has a big bag of salad leftovers for them from his work! Yet on Sat & Sun they don't chase me down. =/ lol

4. How sweet...great to be loved. [​IMG]

5. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Songster

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    I hope mine do that if I ever go out of town!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by