Our Chickens Must be Brian Dead

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jerryray, May 7, 2011.

1. jerryray

jerryray Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    We raise some baby chicks in the barn now they are big enough to go out in the chicken pen, the problem is we builded a nice pen for them attached to barn so they could go out during the day and then they could go back in the barn at night to roost but they won't go outside. We caught them and took them out and all they did was stay out about 1 hour. Next day they didn't go out at all. What.'s wrong with these chickens. Need help bad.[​IMG]

2. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    How big is big enough to be outside? What is the temp? Do they hear or see something that's bothering them? Without being there, it's hard to say. Sure hope they decide to go out and stay out...at least until they need to come in. Good luck

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How old are they now?

What are your temperatures like outside?

4. jerryray

jerryray Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    They are at least 8 to 10 weeks old.

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    It is a new and scary environment to them right now. Just put them out in the pen for short outings and let them decide whether to come in or not. Eventually they will get used to the new space and come n go often. Also, you can use treats to distract them that they are in a different area then they are used to.

It takes awhile for a chicken to adjust to something new.

6. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    what does the term "brian dead" mean ???

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They'll get the hang of it.

Just give them a few days IMO. You might want to put a pallet up on some cinder blocks so they have a place to get under. They might see a hawk or something and feel insecure.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It varies by chicken. Some are braver or more curious than others. Usually, when I open the pop door to the run the first time, several will stand inside and look out a while, then go about their business. Very seldom does one go out the first day. When one does finally go out, it usually stay right at the pop door and hops back in soon after he goes out. Eventually, I'll see a few out at the same time, all near the pop door. Finally some will leave the pop door area and explore the rest of the run. Then they are all out spending some time in the run.

Chickens do not like change. They are used to the coop then this strange area is there. It is scary. But eventually they will work it out. Sometimes I have one or two that go out fairly quickly, but that is rare.

9. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    I find myself telling my chickens, "Geeze, stop being such a chicken" Oh wait....you are a chicken. Give them time, they will get used to their new surroundings. Try some sort of favorite treat or put a feeder & waterer in the outdoor pen. When I put my chicks in their outdoor pen, I couldn't get them to go into the coop. For the first week I had to be the mother hen and herd them into the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by