our chickens

sanctuaryworker

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
Sunshine State
I dont know much about chickens. I have only been a chicken mom for about 4 months, but I am enjoying all of our girls. I am always surprised by their unique personalities.
100_3529.jpg

We received 10 hens back in February of this year all who were rescued from a factory farm. They were debeaked and some of them are missing toes.

100_3498.jpg

I believe that they are Rhode Island Reds. Before we got them, they had never been able to perch or take dust baths.

100_3602.jpg

Thats Mary she's my favorite, and thank goodness her feathers are looking better and growing back in.

rosco.jpg

Thats Rosco he's so sweet, even with 10 girls to protect he still enjoys spending time sitting on my lap or letting me hug him. He's an awesome awesome guy.

Well, that's them! We are in the process of designing a coop for them and sectioning off a yard for them. We do have many large predators around so we are building their coop in the same paddock as our burros hoping that will raise the level of safety.

Those are very nice chickens, Sanctuary! They're lucky to have found a home where they can be happy!!

Those aren't Rhode Island Reds - they're Red Star or something like that. Whatever the breed, they're beautiful. That rooster is breathtaking, and how fortunate that he is a sweetheart.

Back
Top Bottom