Our Chicks are HERE!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WilkinsFarm, Aug 21, 2014.

1. WilkinsFarm

WilkinsFarm New Egg

Aug 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

We got all 250 chicks all doing good so far. We have one that couldn't hold his head down and couldn't lift it up and had his lil eyes closed. We isolated him and we didn't think he would make it, but to our surprise he has his head up and one eye open right now. His wing looks like it might have been hurt somehow. But he is for sure a strong lil guy!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Greetings from Oregon! [​IMG] Man, that's a LOT of chickens!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Good luck with your birds! Happy to hear that so far most of them are doing well.

1 person likes this.
  4. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Wow! 250 chicks! What is your property like? I live on 10 acres and could have that many if my husband didn't divorce me first!

1 person likes this.
  5. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    So jealous!!! I wish I could have that many pet chickens!

1 person likes this.
  6. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I don't know if I could tackle that many chickens without some automation :0). I have cousins who raise chickens for Tyson. The feeders and waterers are automatic and they walk through twice a day to make sure everything is working properly and any injured birds are removed. Since they are raising meat birds, it's probably the most humane way to raise them.

I have a total of 11 birds - seven are 13 week old chicks/pullets (I suspect a rooter or two). I have the chicks in a chicken tractor and the large birds are free range. I am in the process of building a bigger coop on skids so that it can be moved from place to place so the chickens have fresh ground. They love to go around the back of the barn and scratch around where the horses eat!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by