Our chicks are home!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by simplifylife, Jun 3, 2012.

1. simplifylife

simplifylife In the Brooder

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    We picked up our chicks yesterday. I am laughing at how quickly hub has become addicted to them. As a kid growing up working on a farm he never really thought much about the chickens other than.. Oh No I have to clean the coop. He was more a cow kinda guy. Now though he's sitting here looking at the little things and oohing and ahhing over them. First thing he asked me this morning (once he was fully awake and coherent).. was.."How's futterfly doing?" (the little runt our 3 1/2 yr old son named lol)...

We went with a very eccletic mix of chicks.. hoping to decorate our backyard with different looking hens. We have one Cuckoo Maran, one Salmon Faverolle, one Silver Laced Wyandotte, one Speckled Sussex and two bantams.. one Lemon Splash Silkie (the runt that our son named) and one Mille Fleur....

Their names are Corrine, Beatrice, Phyllis, Madeline, Mrs Tiddlefoot (umm yes my husband named that one lol) and Futterfly.. grins.. Everyone is pretty happy except our cat Nanuk who is insisting we brought him home some feathery snacks. *sighs*

The rain has stopped finally so we are off to work on the coop all day.. We are fairly close to shingling it... I love how it's turning out!!

Enjoy your sunday!!

Nancie

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    They are irresistible aren't they? I can't leave our chicks alone either. If only they wouldn't grow so fast!
    Enjoy!

3. simplifylife

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    Thanks.. It's been about 8 years since I've had chickens... smiles... so just hearing and seeing these little cheepers is making my day. Now to get hub out of the shower and our butts outside working on the coop again! lol.. Chicks need to be out in their coop in their brooder box.. because I am missing my bed right now.. (only room I feel safe leaving them in is our room as I can lock it up) lol

4. jeapa

jeapa Chirping

Jan 4, 2012
    It is great to have chicks isn't it? I grew up with them, but like your dh I just thought of them in context of chores I needed to do.

I love taking my morning coffee outside in the run and watching their morning antics.

Post some pics of your when you get a chance.

5. glenann

glenann In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2012
    Ohio
    Would love to see some photos of your menagerie of chicks [​IMG]

6. simplifylife

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    I took pics of the little ones last night.. Need to figure out how to post them today, once I get my son on the bus that is.. grins..

Nancie

7. simplifylife

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. simplifylife

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    In order of appearance.. lol since I am still not sure how I am posting in threads here..

1. Speckled Sussex
    2. Mille Fleur D'uccle bantam
    3. Salmon Faverolle
    4. Silver Laced Wyandotte
    5. Cuckoo Maran
    6. Lemon Splash Silkie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: