Our Chicks have Arrived!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Home on the Stead, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Home on the Stead

Home on the Stead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    Just joined the forum, and have already learned a lot. This is a new thing for us, but we're learning.

Our chicks arrived last Friday. We spent about a month building the coop, and finished with everything and had the brooder set up a few days ahead of time.

[​IMG]

I got a call from the post office about 6am that the chicks had been delivered. I rushed over and picked them up: 26 day-old chicks!

We got them home and introduced them to the brooder that we'd set up and very soon they were running around eating and drinking.

We are rather excited.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on the adorable new babies and best of luck with them.
    Welcome to BYC!
    ETA: I just looked at your pic again and noticed you have them on newspaper. You might want to swap that out for paper towels. Newspaper tends to be slick and can lead to spraddle leg.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  3. Home on the Stead

Oct 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the reply and the advice. I had put the newspaper down according to the books I'd read, but noticed them having issues, so the second day (after they'd eaten more than I thought possible) I took them up and let them run around on the wood chips. I watched them for awhile to make sure they found their food, and they've been doing fine.

We've had them 4 days now, and they're amazingly energetic.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, I only mentioned the paper towels because that seems to be the conventional wisdom. As a newbie I forgot the paper towels and put them directly on the shavings. Didn't have a problem.
    My cute little baby "chicks" - 6 months old are right now outside stealing the dog's supper.

5. nerfy

nerfy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Western Illinois
    AWW, so cute!

6. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Congrats! They're SO cute. I started out with 6, then went back the next day for 3 more (from our local feed store). Seeing all these cute fuzzy butts makes me want MORE! C'mon spring...

Thanks for posting their pic!

7. Home on the Stead

Oct 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks - Yeah they are cute. Looking forward to the eggs though, and getting old enough so they can go outside.

Winters are cold here, so it's a very well insulated coop. They may get spoiled. The last couple days it's been warmer in the coop than in the house! We've started calling the coop "The Manor". I figure that means we live in "The Guest House".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by