Our chicks have shipped, our chicks have shipped! Questions...

NightingaleJen

Crowing
12 Years
May 25, 2011
From Motown to Rural Ohio
Just received the email from Cackle; they're on their way! 🎆🎆🎆

Brooder is just about ready—we just need to put in some of pine shavings and top them with paper towels, and plug the heat plate in (it seems to heat up to 108 in an hour, so we'll probably do that before heading out to get the chicks...PO is about 20-25 minutes away, and the temperatures here are going to be in the high 80s to low 90s all week, so is that okay?).

Couple of questions, to double check:

* Does the water indeed need to be 95-100 degrees when the chicks arrive? How do you keep it warm while you head out to pick up the babies? (Dumbest question ever, probably.)

* Should I just automatically put in some of the Sav-A-Chick and probiotics into the water? (We have both, in the packets.)

* I've read in a couple of places that it's not wise to give the chicks food for an hour after they arrive; is this legit?

* The bedding beneath the heat plate should not be that thick, I'm guessing? Of course we'll have some under there, beneath paper towels for a few days, but it doesn't need to be as deep, does it?

* The recommendations I've seen suggest the plate be about 3" high for day-olds; is that about right, even in our heat?

Any other suggestions very welcome, I've been a little freaked out. I've wanted chickens for nearly a decade now!

Oh, it does look like no substitutes, unless that doesn't show up on the email notification from the hatchery. Dominiques have interested me since I learned about them and we should have three on their way!

❤❤❤

Yay! Water does not need to be hot. I like to offer it at room temperature. If you decide to put in the electrolytes and save-a-chick there will need to be 2 waterers, one with electrolytes, one without. So they don't get dehydrated. I always offer food right away. No reason to wait. About the heat plate. you'll have to test it out once they arrive. Lower it or higher it based on their behavior. I put the heat plate in with 2 of the legs pretty high, the other 2 low, so the heat plate slopes, and the chicks can sit wherever it's the correct temp for them. I put old handtowels under the heat plate so it's more cozy for them . After a few days, flip the towel over and voila! A clean resting area. So excited for you!

Yay! Water does not need to be hot. I like to offer it at room temperature. If you decide to put in the electrolytes and save-a-chick there will need to be 2 waterers, one with electrolytes, one without. So they don't get dehydrated. I always offer food right away. No reason to wait. About the heat plate. you'll have to test it out once they arrive. Lower it or higher it based on their behavior. I put the heat plate in with 2 of the legs pretty high, the other 2 low, so the heat plate slopes, and the chicks can sit wherever it's the correct temp for them. I put old handtowels under the heat plate so it's more cozy for them . After a few days, flip the towel over and voila! A clean resting area. So excited for you!

Thank you both! Is there a reason for the water w/out electrolytes? Cackle suggests just one waterer with plain H20, but with the shipping and the heat, I am a little concerned.

My plan was to have a sloping heat plate—thanks for the old hand towel idea, that would be snugglier.

Well, I learned the hard way. I was brooding some poults and only gave them one waterer with electrolytes. What happened is they would drink their fill of electrolytes and then become dehydrated and die suddenly. One after another. Turns out they need both a regular water and one with electrolytes (optional). I have also had luck putting a few pinches of electrolytes in their feed, and that way they only need one water (w/o electrolytes).

Well, I learned the hard way. I was brooding some poults and only gave them one waterer with electrolytes. What happened is they would drink their fill of electrolytes and then become dehydrated and die suddenly. One after another. Turns out they need both a regular water and one with electrolytes (optional). I have also had luck putting a few pinches of electrolytes in their feed, and that way they only need one water (w/o electrolytes).

Oh how sad! We have *three* waterers, so I'll do both One may be hanging and one sitting on a small platform, but... ;)

Are you talking about the Sav-A-Chick sprinkled on their food?

We have Poultry Drench ready to go, too. Only thing not here is the VetWrap, and that's supposed to be arriving by 8 tonight. ;) I have my iced coffee concentrate steeping on the counter as I type, so I'll be ready to go, no brewing for caffeine necessary! Actually...with the chicks arriving...I probably won't need it. ;D

Back
Top Bottom