Our Chicks! PICS!

mrstillery09

Chirping
11 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
Well, we officially have our first flock of chicks! We got them today from Orschelns. I really thought I was going to prefer Tractor Supplys chicks, but I didn't. I got 6 assorted layers, and 4 straight run barred rocks. I have to say, I am AMAZED by these guys! I don't know what I was expecting, but these chicks are so cute acting like grown ups. No one mentioned the little stretches they do, and the are literally melt your heart adorable! I have a few questions, but I'll post those after the pictures!

T
his is a little production red, and a barred rock. Actually I'm pretty sure the three types I have are leghorns, barred rocks, and production reds.

Here's the barred rock trying to peer around and find the rest of his/her buddies.

I was also surprised at the bit of comb this one already has.

Another barred rock. This one is actually the smallest one I have...too adorable.

Last but not least, what I'm assuming is a little leghorn. I have two like this and both have a few more feathers, and slightly bigger combs than everyone else.
As to a few questions...

1. I have seen a few of them wiping their beaks on the papertowels on the bottom of the brooder, is this normal?

2. These guys are PERSISTENT in getting to the pine shavings. They lift up the edges of the paper towels, grab bits of shaving, and then play keep away. Will playing with/pecking at the pine shavings hurt them?

3. My thermometer isn't doing a great job with the temperature. The brooder is pretty long and they are staying on the side that is mostly lit. They are not all trying to get away from the light, and they aren't huddling in the middle of the light, they're just kind of spread out on the side most lit playing and sleeping wherever. Does this mean the temperature is ok?

4. I dipped all their beaks in the waterer when putting them in the cage, but I've only witnessed a few drinking. Should I re-dip or should they be ok?

I think that's all the questions...for now!!

EDIT: Lol, just seconds later I remembered another question!

The little bit I have handled the chicks so far, they have been pretty scared, flighty and trembly. How long does it take for the to get used to me handling them?

Last edited:
As to a few questions...

1. I have seen a few of them wiping their beaks on the papertowels on the bottom of the brooder, is this normal?

2. These guys are PERSISTENT in getting to the pine shavings. They lift up the edges of the paper towels, grab bits of shaving, and then play keep away. Will playing with/pecking at the pine shavings hurt them?

3. My thermometer isn't doing a great job with the temperature. The brooder is pretty long and they are staying on the side that is mostly lit. They are not all trying to get away from the light, and they aren't huddling in the middle of the light, they're just kind of spread out on the side most lit playing and sleeping wherever. Does this mean the temperature is ok?

4. I dipped all their beaks in the waterer when putting them in the cage, but I've only witnessed a few drinking. Should I re-dip or should they be ok?

I think that's all the questions...for now!!

1. Yes that is normal, when they get older they will wipe their beak on something hard, its so it doesnt get overgrown

2. i dont know if pine shavings are safe for them (i know cedar are poisonous) but they play keep away with ANYTHING

3.They sound good, and you dont need a thermometer, just raise or lower the brooder according to their actions, all young chickies tend to stay towards the lit side

4. Try and re-dip, just witness them drink from it at least once and then they will be good

SO CUTE!! we have some 5 week olds! i miss the adorable 3 day old stage

1. Yes that is normal, when they get older they will wipe their beak on something hard, its so it doesnt get overgrown

2. i dont know if pine shavings are safe for them (i know cedar are poisonous) but they play keep away with ANYTHING

3.They sound good, and you dont need a thermometer, just raise or lower the brooder according to their actions, all young chickies tend to stay towards the lit side

4. Try and re-dip, just witness them drink from it at least once and then they will be good

SO CUTE!! we have some 5 week olds! i miss the adorable 3 day old stage

I had no ideas chickens wiped their beaks on things to keep them from overgrowing. Make sense though! Thanks for answering! I know they are adorable now, but I know that ugly "duckling" phase is just a few weeks away!

I had no ideas chickens wiped their beaks on things to keep them from overgrowing. Make sense though! Thanks for answering! I know they are adorable now, but I know that ugly "duckling" phase is just a few weeks away!

in chicks, there is NEVER an ugly duckling pase, its just the funny phase, when they start to grow in their feathers but theres not ugly duckling phase in chickens XD

in chicks, there is NEVER an ugly duckling pase, its just the funny phase, when they start to grow in their feathers but theres not ugly duckling phase in chickens XD

Haha, ok, then the awkward growing in feathers phase!! I know they're going to look funky, but I'll love them anyways!
love.gif

Too funny.....I had never read about the leg stretches either. I got my first chicks yesterday and the first time I saw one lay down and stretch its legs I thought something was wrong with it. I had been watching it anyway as it is not nearly as active as the others. I immediately tried to remember if I had ever read that symptom in the diseases section, LOL, paranoid new mama that I am. Later I saw them all doing it and decided it must be normal.

Back
Top Bottom