Our chicks will be here anytime..edited: They're here!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smileysjs1, Aug 18, 2008.

1. smileysjs1

smileysjs1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Hey I'm Stephanie and I'm mom to 3 kids ages 6, 9, and 15 months and also furmommy to Spanky (male pug), Suzie (female pug), and Rocky ( male labrador). I ordered 3 chicks back in June from mypetchicken and they should be here either tomorrow, Wednesday , or Thursday. They were shipped today via express mail. It will be a white silkie, silver laced wyandotte, and a buff orpington - all females. We've never taken care of chickens before. Today I went and bought the feeder, waterer, rabbit cage, pine shavings, and organic starter feed. The guys in the store said I probably wouldn't need the heat lamp and that I could keep them outside in the cage during the day since its so hot here. What do you all think? When I bring them inside I thought about keeping them in the bathroom with the air vents closed. We're all really excited and can't wait to meet them! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. hens@reddirthill

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Hi Stephanie, This is Cat. I'm expecting mine from My Pet Chicken tomorrow/Wednesday as well (!) my first ones ever, very excited! Got the brooder all set up with a heat lamp - we had 6" of snow this weekend, not the norm, but it came all the same. Good luck with your chickies!

3. smileysjs1

Jun 12, 2008
    Snow?! Where are you at? Its supposed to be 89 degrees here today. I think I might need to go ahead and buy the heat lamp. I was told we'd be ok without one but I worry about night time when we're asleep and the ac is on. I couldn't get to sleep last night..just worrying about my chicks and hope they'll be alive when they get here.

4. hens@reddirthill

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    We're outside Tabernash, Colorado. Close to 9000'. Guess it was a reminder to enjoy summer since it could end any day.[​IMG]

5. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    I just ordered my first baby chicks. We have 8 hens we got as started pullets so chicks are very new to us.

Where in the world did you get snow in August?

I'm in northern Michigan and it is freezing here today. Well, it's like 62.

I'm not sure of much of anything but I'd say you need a heat lamp. I'm going to be borrowing one for our chicks.

6. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Hello Stephanie! Welcome to the world of crazy people who are absessed with chickens. You will soon become one of us, addicted to this site and our feathered friends. [​IMG] I got my Barred rocks a few weeks ago and it drove me crazy waiting for them to get here. On the heat lamp issuse, make sure it's light where your keeping them. If there isn't enough light in their home, they'll peck each other like crazy, atleast that's what I was told. I live here in Texas, so we only leave a light in there for security. [​IMG]

8. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Go with the heat lamp and keep it the temps that have been advised. When ours reached 3 weeks we did cut down on it during the day when it was hot in the garage. But they need the consistant temps. If you keep them inside the same goes, especially if you have air-conditioning. Keep them out of any draft. The fewer you have the more consistant heat they need. Good luck!

9. smileysjs1

Jun 12, 2008
    We went out and bought the heat lamp. As soon as we got through the door, I received a phone call from the post office. So I drove as fast as I could to pick them up. They peeped the whole way home. I open the box and find this:[​IMG]

My daughter will be naming this one (white silkie) Silkie Puff : [​IMG]

My son wants to name this one (silver laced wyandotte) Oreo : [​IMG]

and this one I'm not sure. Its a Buff Orpington that we might call either Buffy or Brownie [​IMG]

10. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

They are so cute, Stephanie!
    Oreo is a great name!
    Congrats and
    [​IMG]
    Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by