Our classroom bator and our homemade cooler hatcher/bator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WriterofWords, Feb 28, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    We have a Little Giant Bator but we had made the cooler bator/hatcher first. This is the big one, we also made two smaller ones from smaller coolers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Well, that's just nifty!

Why do you have some of the eggs separated from the rest?

3. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    On the homemade bator in the classroom - did you have to come back to campus to turn?

4. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:We separated them because they are rocking very hard and hitting the other eggs. I'm afraid when they hatch they will roll the other eggs around so much the babies might not survive.

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:I did either have to come back to turn them or take them home with me on the weekend. I used those hand warmers you squish and they heat up to hold the heat in the cooler. Those styrofoam coolers really hold the heat, that has been an issue I've been working on. I've tried 40 watt but it's too hot during the day, I've tried 25 watt but it's not warm enough at night. Any suggestions?

6. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:I was thinking of doing something like that myself, 'cause the Mama hen sits tight on her eggs, they don't generally roll around or anything. It's killing me to have to wait to candle... this is my first attempt ever and I'm only into day 7.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What kind of thermostat are you using? and are you using 1 or 2 lights for heat?

8. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Use both but put them on timers? Time it so the 25 watt bulb runs during the day (turns off at night) and the 40 watt at night (turns off during day). 'course, you'd have to modify the bator again and do more wiring.

9. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:We have only one light, the sixth graders made this. We don't have an adjustable thermostat just thermometers and hygrometer combo.
    Plain and simple, next year we might go further if we don't get the money to buy another Hova.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Temp flux is mainly caused by the change in temps in your classroom. With the temps cooling at night you could nestle it into a blanket to insulate it. If you wire 2 lights the thermostat works more effciently. If you are using a hot water thermostat next time you can get a hova thermostat for about $16 and fine tune it a little better.

What an excellent classroom project! I am trying to get my dd's science teacher to let me do this but so far she isn't interested at all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by