1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Our Cockerels First Adventure

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Allie Grace Sanders, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Allie Grace Sanders

Allie Grace Sanders Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    So we brought home our BO cockerel today. When we got home we took him out of the truck and we were about to put him in quarantine. When he escaped! He immediately ran over and tried to mate with one of my hens. She rejected so he stopped. They mingled for a minute, and then he took off! He ran into the woods. He found a (prickly) spot and laid down. He sprang up and squealed like a baby. Then he ran further into the woods and disappeared from sight. By now it is dark and we are surrounded by the woods. We couldn't hear him anymore so we figured he was probably perching. We searched and searched. We were about to give up when we spotted him. He was sleeping peacefully on a log. He had to pick the prickliest spot in the woods! OUCH! We brought him home and he is sleeping peacefully in quarantine. How do I teach him that this is his new home? Thanks for reading!

birdofhermes likes this.
  2. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Songster

Mar 19, 2016
    34.560847, -81.154203
    My Coop
    I'm assuming you free range your birds (no pen)? If so you could put him in a large dog cage inside the coop for a few days. This is a good idea as he and your girls can get antiquated that way without danger of anyone contracting something from the other. eventually he'll get the idea "this is home" home under his comb.

3. Allie Grace Sanders

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    I keep them in a pen. But I want to let them free range. If he seems willing to protect them, free ranging it is.

4. Ladyhawk1028

Ladyhawk1028 In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2017
    Sorry he gave you such an adventure on your first night lol I’m glad that you caught him

5. Allie Grace Sanders

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Me too! I was so worried we wouldn't find him.

Ladyhawk1028 likes this.
  6. Machineryqueen

Machineryqueen In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2017
    I understand quarantine to be in an area not close to your existing flock. So, I would put him in an area where the hens are not exposed to him. Then once the quarantine period has expired without any issues, allow him to join the hens being exposed thru a pen inside the coop. Once that is acceptable to both parties then try to inclimate him into the flock. I may be incorrect, however, this is what I have learned from my research.

greggooo likes this.
  7. Allie Grace Sanders

Oct 12, 2017
    Indiana
    I planned on quarantining him..... But his poops look healthy and he looks very healthy. Am I making a mistake by doing this?

8. Machineryqueen

Machineryqueen In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2017
    Everything I have read via books and online chats say to quarantine them. The time period seems to vary from 1 to 2 weeks. I would still follow this and check closely for any types of illness symptoms. Then add him into the flock via a cage for a week or so to get acclimated to the flock. If all goes well then add him to the flock. I am sure there my be others that disagree with my suggestions, however, it is ultimately up to your choice.

9. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    He's already exposed your birds to whatever he might have. Too late now.

10. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    2 wks is minimum. 4--6 is better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: