Our Colorado Coop is finished! [New Pics on Pg 3]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ColoradoMike, Jun 15, 2009.

1. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Here is a link to the page I just created with lots of pics of our coop. It's pretty much finished. I still may enlarge one window and add a loft inside the coop. I'll also add some foam-board insulation and seal up the cracks later this year before the snow begins to fall.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=34118

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. Poopie

Poopie In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    White Mtns
    Nice Job...the girls do look happy!![​IMG]

3. doxpeople

doxpeople In the Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Colorado
    Nice coop Mike, is that a beer I see sitting on the ground?? My DW describes all my projects by the number of beers and trips to the hardware store required.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    LOVE IT!!! thats just what we need to keep my daughters banties in! I'm showin' your pic's to my husband! He's gonna have to build me one! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Songster

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Great job! [​IMG] Really cute!

6. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:Indeed - a chilly Fat Tire to enjoy as the day was winding down. [​IMG]

I can't begin to count my trips to Ace hardware - though I did manage to use a lot of odds and end-type hardware I already had in the garage, not to mention a fair amount of free wood.

7. Auntbeast

Auntbeast In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Rabun County, GA
    How many seconds after you said "It is done!" did you think about expansion? [​IMG]

We should make up an acronym for that thought.

8. Bram

Bram Chirping

May 7, 2009
    Southeastern Illinois
    Nice set up! What are the dimensions of the coop and run?

9. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    The coop is 4'x4', though the nest box takes up 1'x4', so the current effective coop floor space is 3'x4'. I had initially heard/read that 2-3 sq ft per bird was enough and that I could count the nest boxes as part of the space requirements. Now, I'm afraid I don't have enough room for 5 birds. What I think I'll end up doing when I finish out the nest boxes is to make two boxes that are pretty well secluded and just leave the other 2 square feet of area as a part of the coop. I'm also planning on putting in a decent sized 'loft' to create more floor space.

The run measures 4'x11' and they have access to it all day when we're not home. When we are home, we'll let them 'free range' in our former dog run (the dog never really liked it) that area is about 20'x20'.

When I was in the early stages of designing and building, I thought the size was just right, but I have since realized it's too small! If worst comes to worst, we'll give one or two hens away. [​IMG]

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You need to find and old pick and a sluicing pan to hang on the side

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: