Our combination shed/coop construction so far...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by simplifylife, Jun 4, 2012.

1. simplifylife

simplifylife In the Brooder

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    Hub began building our shed/coop combination exactly one week ago today. I have posted pics on my page of how it looks thus far. We pulled our inspiration off here from other coops we saw and liked, just made it a bit more New England looking, and took space to utilize as shed storage. The main structure is 6'x6' with 4'x6' being dedicated to the girls. Their coop is 3' off the ground, utilizing the under space as shed storage. We are into the coop for $100 right now with shingles and paper. That price will go up as we start working on the run I am sure. Otherwise all our plywood, nails, screws, flooring, 2x4s were free! Even the window we added at the last minute was reclaimed from our bathroom remodel last year.

At this stage of the game, my daughter and I are shingling, while DH is finishing off the bump out area for the shed. Next he will enclose the last soffit area (sp on that), finish two interior walls, lay one more layer of plywood on the floor before we install our leftover flooring. He spotted some screw up paint at HD yesterday and is bringing it home today (if it's still there).. once he got my approval for PINK as the interior wall color. LOL why the heck not!!

We've got a ways to go, but I am very happy with how it's coming out.. the progress we've made in one week is admirable.. Or so I think anyways..grins..and the cute cottage look should mollify the neighbors.. lol.. Especially if you look at the ugly detached garage on the other side of the fence from our new coop.. hehe..

Hope you enjoy checking out the pics.. if I can figure out how to put them in this post I will.

Nancie

2. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    For pics...Go to the" reply" area .
    The line at the top is icons.The last white box full of icons starts with a colored square and next to it is a piece of film (farther down the line there is the happy face too )
    Click on the colored box thats first...and it will go to "browse" and click on it get your photos off your computer or where ever you store them ...whallah
    Cant wait to see what you have done $100 is way cheap!!.

3. simplifylife

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    [​IMG]

13 yr old shingling..while 3 1/2 yr old models the coop area... Yes she's got an interesting way of shingling..grins.

[​IMG]

Our coop.. much cuter than neighbors ugly detached garage behind the fence no? lol.. Hub is building a bump out area.. that comes off the main structure at 6' in height. It's an additional 2' of storage space. Giving a total 4x4 storage area for the shed not including the area under the coop which is 3' in height but another 4' in storage. Compact but hopefully very functional! Nesting boxes will be built off the back where my son is sitting.. pop door alongside the window which might not be visible in this pic.. beam coming off will be continued for the covered run area.

[​IMG]
    Tilt your head sideways.. lol.. there's my boy sitting next to our salvaged window. Pop door will be alongside that with ramp down to run. One more layer of plywood to add to floor here.. and the two interior walls, paint and flooring..boxes to be built in those last two wall areas behind my son on rear wall.

4. simplifylife

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    [​IMG]

ahh more normal sized pics.. lol. Ok here is view including the shed bump out.. Again remember our costs were so limited as we had so much already on hand. DH salvaged all the plywood and 2x4's from his job. We had a boat load of screws leftover from our house remodel last year. Neighbor gave us a ton of nails after cleaning out his dad's workshop.. his dad passed away years ago, but mom passed last year and we received a ton of stuff from them. Flooring we had leftover from our remodel, window leftover.. you get the idea. Right now we are into the shed for the paper and shingles. we bought the uber cheap grade shingles.. at $7 a bundle.. Have four bundles so far, only one up on the shed. Will need probably about 6 more?? We shall see.. We have the plywood for the doors on the bump out. Need to buy roofing and hardware clothe. I figure around $300? when done.. as hardware clothe is NOT cheap!

[​IMG]

Middle child.. thirteen years old.. with her upside down shingling technique. Grandma has already cussed me out for her not wearing shoes. Doors into coop.....

5. Jakoda

Jakoda Songster

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    looks great !

6. simplifylife

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    Thanks Jakoda.. It's really coming along nicely!!

7. simplifylife

May 9, 2012
    South Eastern Mass
    Well hub went out and bought OOPS stain for the coop.. You know the color that didn't come out just like someone envisioned so it's on clearance for pennies on the dollar. Our coop theme (yes I do plan to decorate around it.. don't we all? lol) changed suddenly with it's new navy blue and white color scheme! lol If it wasn't raining today I'd be installing the beautiful new flooring and painting the interior.. It's come so far! Chicks will be out in it by the weekend for sure.. and Hub will get started on their run. He might do a quick job on the rabbit hutch first.. since the chicks won't need to be out in their run for another few weeks.. We shall see.. Knowing hub he'll finish the coop first.. he's just like that..grins..

I truly love how it's all come together.. I can't wait to post pics of it when done. Is it all glamorous? Nah..but it's so cute and country feeling I adore it!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: