our coop and silly chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stargazingmommy, Nov 18, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    With it getting dark earlier the chickens have been going to bed earlier. As a stupid human I forget this sometimes(during the summer I put them to bed aka locked them in the run attached to the coop and let them do as they pleased about 9 pm). Last night at 6 pm as the wind started banging the screen door, we decided it was probably time to look the two hens inside the run. Normally when the sun goes down they head into the run and hang out there, usually sleeping on the outside roost instead of the inside one, though I think with it being so cold I will force them into the coop to sleep. Headed outside last night, looked into the run, which we can easily see from our back porch, and no birds. Not on the perch or in the straw on the ground(new addition with the cold setting in). Hubby goes in, grabs a flashlight thinking they were under the porch, but no. He didn't make it to the steps before he found my sweet little Bellatrix...on the topmost step to the porch. All hunkered down. I think she would have slept there all night, even with the dogs going in and out and around her. We relocated her to the run and went on the hunt for Bo. She was hiding under the porch.

Here is their domain, though they usually spend no time in it except for sleeping and laying eggs.
    The heat lamp is over their water to keep it defrosted. We've recently had some temps in the teens.

[​IMG]

2. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    awww...wish my hens liked me enought to want to be in the house with me [​IMG]

3. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    beach livin' :

awww...wish my hens liked me enought to want to be in the house with me [​IMG]

My husband said if I didn't stop spoiling them, especially Bella, we will find her using the dog door one of these days.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by