Our Coop Construction (Big Images)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RyanAndMeri, Jul 31, 2008.

1. RyanAndMeri

RyanAndMeri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2007
    [​IMG]

The foundation... We wanted to make it easy to clean and keep predators out so we used concrete. Meh, not sure if I'll do that again becuase it's a lot of work and somehat expensive (we mixed our own - something like 40 x 80lb bags.) We also built a lip into the concrete for some reason (seemed like a good idea at the time.) I wont do that again either. It was hard to hammer the frame into it without cracking it. The dimensions of the foundation are 8 feet length x 4 feet width x 3 or 4 inches depth plus the rim-thing.

[​IMG]

The frame! It was easy to throw together, but the roof part wasn't well thought out and we didn't use brackets at first (use brackets on those silly angles, it makes life easier!) The frame wobbled until we put the plywood over it and then it was very stable. We just had a microburst last week and trees came down but not our little hutch! We made the door 6 feet high so I can walk in without ducking hehe. We use the deep litter method and just put pine shavings on the floor - they LOVE the stuff and often take dust baths in it, especially when we add new shavings.

[​IMG]

Somewhere I have intermediate steps. Hrmmm. <scratches head> well here it is completed. The shingles were done by Meridale (she's amazing, isn't she?!) The doors weren't that hard really... Just cut out some plywood 2' x 8' and bordered them with little pieces of 3x1's and hung them up. Meri also did the painting and the little chicken door that opens into the run (not shown here.) We caulked the edges before painting to keep water out since plywood falls apart fast at the edges from water damage.

[​IMG]

The inside we have a heat lamp which is quite popular in the winter and 4 nesting boxes. Only two of them get used and the ladies definately have a preference as to which one they want to lay their egg in. We added some mille fleurs to the group recently and they sleep on top of the boxes, or get up into the rafters and drop poop bombs on the big orps below them (uuhhg.)

More later [​IMG]

2. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    very nice job [​IMG]

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    What a wonderful job you all did! Those roofs always throw us off so we just build the slant kind. Too hard for our little brains but the footing is a great idea. We have had that for more than 20 years and it is so nice!
    Congrats on a cute coop![​IMG]

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I think that in the long run (now that all the hard work is done) you will be so happy you did the concrete with the lip. That lip will be so good at keeping out predators as well as keeping the walls free from rot. [​IMG]

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    What a cute coop!

6. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Meri and Ryan ~

You've done a beautiful job of building Fort Knox for your chickens. The inside is well thought out.... except for the fertilizer bombs, of course. [​IMG] Thanks for all the photos.

Carla

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Great Job [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by