Our coop has begun..Update with pic

NewChickOh

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Oregonia, Ohio
After a couple of months of trying to come up with a design and borrowing ideas from some of the great coops here on BYC, we finally started construction on our coop this past weekend.

celebrate.gif

What started out as an 8 x 12 shed type coop, was modified at the last minute to become a 12 x 12, due to the great deal with found on lumber and siding.

As of Tuesday, we had the floor and the framing for 3 walls up. Now we have rain, so it looks we won't get to work again until this weekend (keeping my fingers crossed)!

The final product will be a 12 x 12 shed type coop with a 12 x 16 foot run (completely enclosed to keep out critters and birds of prey).

It will house our 7 pullets- 1 barred rock, 2 white rocks, 2 golden comets, and 2 easter eggers, as well as our 2 silkies, 2 golden sebrights and 2 white crested polish. I'd also like to add a couple more easter eggers, and maybe a couple of cuckoo marans, and some blue/black/splash silkies to the mix.

We may block off a section for storage (or the pygmy goats that I'm trying to convince my husband we need next!). We'll see how it goes!

26168_progress512.jpg

I'll add more pics to my page as we go!
ya.gif

Kim

Last edited:
Here was what we accomplished between rain and a soccer tournament over the weekend.

26168_coop0515c.jpg

And here's what was done at the end of the night on Monday May 18th
smile.png

26168_coop0519a.jpg

We're hoping to be completely done by the end of this weekend. We have a campout planned for Saturday night in the coop as long as it doesn't rain
smile.png

And then it's chickens OUT!!!
celebrate.gif

Ok, except for the new ones that we brought home this weekend LOL

Kim

It doesn't feel fast!

We've been working for 3 weekends and several evenings, around rain and the kids activities...I think if we could get one day where it's nice and we don't have to do ANYTHING else, we could get almost done with the structure.

I'm still not sure what we're going to do to the roof, and we're waiting till the end to decide on window placement and vents (I'm really visual, and was having a hard time picturing things, even with my graph paper drawings!).

If we can have the rest of the roof done (escept shingles) and the siding on the front and back walls up and stained, and the door done by Saturday night, I'll be really happy. If we can get the windows too, that would be great. Then I figure I'll work on trim as we get time, but we may be able to get that done this weekend if I let the kids start staining.

Oh, and then comes the run LOL I figure at the rate we're going, the whole project will take 6 weeks...

What happened to my original plan of a small tractor and a couple of hens?????

Back
Top Bottom