Our coop has begun..Update with pic

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NewChickOh, May 14, 2009.

1. NewChickOh

NewChickOh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Oregonia, Ohio
    After a couple of months of trying to come up with a design and borrowing ideas from some of the great coops here on BYC, we finally started construction on our coop this past weekend.

[​IMG]

What started out as an 8 x 12 shed type coop, was modified at the last minute to become a 12 x 12, due to the great deal with found on lumber and siding.

As of Tuesday, we had the floor and the framing for 3 walls up. Now we have rain, so it looks we won't get to work again until this weekend (keeping my fingers crossed)!

The final product will be a 12 x 12 shed type coop with a 12 x 16 foot run (completely enclosed to keep out critters and birds of prey).

It will house our 7 pullets- 1 barred rock, 2 white rocks, 2 golden comets, and 2 easter eggers, as well as our 2 silkies, 2 golden sebrights and 2 white crested polish. I'd also like to add a couple more easter eggers, and maybe a couple of cuckoo marans, and some blue/black/splash silkies to the mix.

We may block off a section for storage (or the pygmy goats that I'm trying to convince my husband we need next!). We'll see how it goes!

[​IMG]

I'll add more pics to my page as we go! [​IMG]

Kim

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Sounds Great Kim, can't wait to see some pictures!!!

3. jhart101

jhart101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Sounds nice...always interested in seeing those pics! Post them when you get a chance. [​IMG]

4. NewChickOh

Mar 27, 2009
    Oregonia, Ohio
    Here was what we accomplished between rain and a soccer tournament over the weekend.

[​IMG]

And here's what was done at the end of the night on Monday May 18th [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're hoping to be completely done by the end of this weekend. We have a campout planned for Saturday night in the coop as long as it doesn't rain [​IMG]

And then it's chickens OUT!!!
    [​IMG]

Ok, except for the new ones that we brought home this weekend LOL

Kim

5. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    Looking great! I'm about to start on mine but I doubt it will go up so fast!

6. NewChickOh

Mar 27, 2009
    Oregonia, Ohio
    It doesn't feel fast!

We've been working for 3 weekends and several evenings, around rain and the kids activities...I think if we could get one day where it's nice and we don't have to do ANYTHING else, we could get almost done with the structure.

I'm still not sure what we're going to do to the roof, and we're waiting till the end to decide on window placement and vents (I'm really visual, and was having a hard time picturing things, even with my graph paper drawings!).

If we can have the rest of the roof done (escept shingles) and the siding on the front and back walls up and stained, and the door done by Saturday night, I'll be really happy. If we can get the windows too, that would be great. Then I figure I'll work on trim as we get time, but we may be able to get that done this weekend if I let the kids start staining.

Oh, and then comes the run LOL I figure at the rate we're going, the whole project will take 6 weeks...

What happened to my original plan of a small tractor and a couple of hens?????

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Nice JOB!!

You look so.....O R G A N I Z E D!!! [​IMG]

8. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    That is a nice soon to be coop

9. Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Sequim, WA
    Very nice!
    [​IMG]

10. nwmud

nwmud Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Everett, WA
    It looks good and i am sure you will have a very happy flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by