Our coop in progress, suggestions welcome!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by loghomehenhouse, Aug 4, 2013.

1. loghomehenhouse

loghomehenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    So this is our coop in progress. We had a few tie ups with broken power planers etc, so our girls are chomping at the bit to be in their new house. All of the wood used we got for free from various buildings/barns being taken down locally. The floor is recycled theatrical platforms from a high school production.

The run will be built from again recycled 2x4 frame and 14 gauge chicken wire that was also given to us. We are considering laying down a wire apron to deter predators as we have many, and an electric wire as well.

We are half way done with the dutch door, that will lead to a storage room, then the girls will be in the larger section behind an interior wall. We have a lift up door outside that is leading to the run, and windows will be cut today as a friend is giving up two pella windows.

Suggestions?
    Bad/good?

This is our first coop build, so any suggestions are welcome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Diz78

Diz78 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    central pa
    Looks real nice!

3. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    Thank you Diz78!

4. KristineY

KristineY Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Howell, NJ
    I would put in a vent on each wall you won't have an opening window on. Cross ventilation is so important and 2 windows may not be enough. Doesn't have to be fancy. We cut out the vents, tack in wire mesh and put a hinged flap door over each that you can close or secure open (we hook our vents with hook and eyes in the soffit roof)

5. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    I forgot to add, the roof is sort of a floating roof, where all the rafters meet the walls is open and wire is installed up there for ventilation. I may also put in a livestock fan for super hot days

6. BStump

BStump Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Ohio
    My Coop
    Very nice and roomy. How many chickens will you be housing?

7. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    Right now we have 23 hens 1 Roo and will have a smaller coop for our other three Roos that were supposed to be girls

8. Rnbwbrite1207

Rnbwbrite1207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    Looks great! What is your plan for egg boxes and roosts?

9. loghomehenhouse

Aug 2, 2013
    NH

We have a set of old short cabinets we are retro fitting for nesting boxes, with small sections of closet rod as a standing point before entering the nesting box and we are making a ladder system for roosts

10. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Your coop is so neat! I love the ideas of repurposing old barn materials... Give it that rustic look! Totally awesome. Great job

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by