Our coop in progress

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kesha, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Kesha

Kesha Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The walls match the floor. I will update the pics as we get the coop done [​IMG]

2. Kesha

Kesha Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My boyfriend is ready to choke me. I kept changing things when I seen other people pics. Like the front porch- then I didn't like it because it was to plain. So he built planter boxes...LOVE HIM!!!

This is our first time ever getting chickens. If you all see anything in these pics that needs to be changed please let us know.

He will change it [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Very nice. its looking great.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Can you gather eggs from the outside?

5. Kesha

Kesha Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    No we can't gather the eggs from the outside. We were worried about preditors getting in so the coop is air tight. He put in real windows that we could open and a fan in the roof for ventalation.

Do you think I need to gather them from the outside?

6. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    How does the feed get to the end of the horizontal pipe...I understand gravity....but sideways? Are you doing the same for water?....you have a talented friend! Good Luck, posts pics with your birds.....
    HappyHatch'en
    My Coop thread is...My First Coop (PHOTO'S) check it out

7. Kesha

Kesha Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    No we are putting the water under the nest boxes. Just the regular ones that you buy.

The pipe is 4 inches at the top and when we pour the bag of food it will fill the ones with holes.

We haven't used it yet so if the food doesn't make it all the way to the end of the sides he will cut them back a little.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:We like our ability to gather the eggs from the outside.... no chicken poop on the feet that way. But I still have to build a little stand along the openings to the outside so that my younger kids and future grandkids can gather the eggs from the outside.

9. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    Your chickens need to be able to get outside and scratch around are they will not be happy and might not lay lots of eggs.

10. Kesha

Kesha Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    On the left hand side will be their run. They have a little door that he build with a ladder we just haven't finished it yet.

He still wrapping all the trim with metal. The siding is actually concrete siding and the coop also has insulation.

I think they will be happy birds.

How much does that chicken mesh/netting cost does anyone know?

Everyone says not to use chicken wire because predators will still get in. What is the best thing to use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by