1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our coop is almost done! Pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MistyK, May 12, 2007.

1. MistyK

MistyK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    We compared a zillion coop pictures, bought three books, and finally ended up sort-of-copying one we saw here! [​IMG] I'm so proud of my husband and sons' work, I had to put it out there for you to see! We're still going to cut windows on each end (I think he may even make them heart-shaped, just for me, LOL) and shingle the second side of the roof, plus stain the wood--whew, this was a long project. But they look happy to me!

[​IMG]

Here's the roost and nest boxes . . .

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of the girls pecking under their tree. I think they're around 5 weeks now.

[​IMG]

We're enjoying our chickens![​IMG]

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    That's so cute and heart shaped windows would make it perfect!

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It does looks great!

A couple of suggestions if you don't mind.

If you are in a cold climate you are going to need a way to close off all that air space around the eves. You will also want to get harware cloth over the air spaces to keep smaller predators from climbing the fencing and getting in under the edge of the roof.

4. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Looks really nice [​IMG] Great job!
    I'm curious, how long wide tall etc is it?

5. MistyK

MistyK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    I definitely don't mind suggestions! [​IMG]
    We are actually in Jacksonville, Florida. So COLD is not an issue, but HOT is! We left the opening in the roof area so we'd have ventilation. I'm hoping that will be adequate and thinking we won't need fans since they'll only be up there in the evenings? Correct me if I'm wrong!

The coop is 8x4.

What should I hunt down for an upstairs waterer?

TIA!~Misty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by