Our coop is being built! Finished! Pg 2

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by la dee da, May 31, 2010.

1. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Yay! I finally figured out how to work the digital camera!!! [​IMG] . The coop we're (dad, mom, and us kids) building is 10'x12' and is going to house about 15 chickens. We haven't gotten the chickens yet, but that's the # I've been planning. I hope this works.

This is the foundation. Mom and I did those blocks individually, we had to make them level with each other and it was hard work! We put in four sonotubs at the corners to make the coop really wind proof.
    [​IMG]

This is the completed foundation, with the plywood put on
    [​IMG]

And this is what we got done yesterday! The walls and rafters are up. By the time the rafters were put up it was thundering and there was hardly any light out. One of dads work buddies came over to help and our neighbor came over "to watch" and ended up being a huge help and saved us from making some big mistakes. I got to enjoy admiring the men work all afternoon, even though I got badly sunburned.
    [​IMG]
    Next up are the sides and roofing, I'm so excited!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Looks great so far! Enjoy the hard work![​IMG]

3. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Thank you [​IMG]. Believe it or not I really am enjoying the work it's taking. It's really a lot of fun knowing I'm doing something instead of watching everyone else do it.

*by the way, I love finally having my cat as my avatar! [​IMG]

4. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmmm, how do I make sure the pictures get bigger when you click on the thumbnail?

5. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    That's going to be really nice! What is a sonotub?

6. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    A sonotube is basically a cardboard round tube that you can buy from lowes (I don't know if other places sell it) that's made to pour concrete in. We cut the sonotubes in half to make them 2ft. long ea. and put them in the ground. We had already attached the brackets to the foundation so we just placed it on top and poured the concrete in. It helps prevent the coop from blowing away during a hurricane.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  7. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Ok, the bottom thumbnail should show a bigger picture now if you click on it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  8. la dee da

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Here's a pic of the sonotube with the concrete poured.
    [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks like you are off to a great start! How exciting! [​IMG]

10. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    Very Nice! Looks like their doing it super right.
    Nice big size too..How many you plan on having?..Oh never mind, just reread15.. Hope you know that really means 30;)

You'll see:lol:
    I planed, built for 4... Ended up with 21 chicks before run was done.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by