Our coop is being delivered today.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JaJoJu, May 20, 2011.

1. JaJoJu

JaJoJu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    We had a coop built and it is being delivered today.

We are in Charlotte, NC, and the weather is mild during the day. Still chilly at night. Would it be ok for my chicks to be in their coop during the day and brought back in at night?

They are getting crowded in the Tupperware container I have them in now. The coop has an indoor area for roosting and nesting. There is an upper outdoor area (covered in chicken wire, of course), and a lower outdoor area (also enclosed) where they can scratch and eat bugs and grass.

Also, should the coop be placed in a sunny area or does it matter? I have a particular spot in mind. It is a quiet corner of our yard but very shady.

Thanks.

2. Keileigh

Keileigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    The Upcountry
    How old are they? We live just outside Greenville, SC, and my six-week-olds are going out as soon as my husband and I get our coop put back together (we just moved it from our old house and we're doubling the size of the run). Totally sympathize with the chickies getting too big for their container. The upside is that mine come running to be petted when I take the screen off the top -- I think they're just hoping I'll get them out of there for a while! Hoping to get them outside this weekend.

Edited to add that our coop used to be in full sun, and we're happy to be able to put it in the shade this time. In summer it was almost impossible to keep up with their water needs. Here they'll get some morning and late afternoon sun, but they'll be shaded during the hottest part of the day.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. JaJoJu

Apr 27, 2011
    Quote:Our chicks are almost six weeks old. They are almost completely covered in feathers. Mine also get excited when I remove the screen from the container. LOL

4. Keileigh

Keileigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    The Upcountry
    I think they would do fine. Not an expert, but I've raised a hundred or more in the last 20 years and haven't lost one yet. (Knock on wood.) [​IMG]

5. JaJoJu

Apr 27, 2011
    Quote:I will try it. I would put them in the coop during the day, unless the weather is cool or rainy. Unless somebody else has advice they would like to add? I am very new at raising chicks. I have three small kids and we spend a lot of time in our yard so they would not be alone in the coop...we would be close by a lot of the time.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If they are fully feathered, they will be fine in there day and night. You may want to lock them in the coop part for a few days, so they know where to go when it gets dark.

I'd put the coop in a shady spot. Chickens are better suited to deal with cold, but heat of the summer is hard on them. They need shade and cool water when it's really hot, so I'd put the coop in the shade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by