Our coop is here!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by acissej, Jun 15, 2010.

1. acissej

acissej Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    We had this built for us because we have no skills or time to build one ourselves, and I wanted something that was going to look decent.

I need to spend some time leveling the ground so the run is flush against the coop, that's why it kind of looks cockeyed.

I have a few questions about the coop if you don't mind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the ground is level the runs will be flush with the coop. Should I attach them somehow to the coop, do you suppose?

[​IMG]

These are on the left side of the enclosed area. Do they need to be separated? And they're kind of rough, should I sand them a bit?

[​IMG]

And I need to put shavings in the inside area right? Won't they just kick them all down the hole that leads to the run?

[​IMG]

This is a terrible picture that's hard to make anything out, but there are 3 roosts inside too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Gorgeous coop!

I built a tractor with a floor opening and used a rim of rubber to keep the shavings inside. You could use wood too.

You should either paint or seal the inside and out before putting your birds inside.

I would put dividers between the nests to prevent squabbling and egg stealing.

3. acissej

Jun 2, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Thank you! It's made of cedar, do I really need to paint or stain it?

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Yes I definitely would attach the runs to the coop, unless you want to move it. I don't know your situation, but if you live where there are coons, possums, fox, etc they could possibly get in and get your chickens. I also would attach a strip of wire (maybe 18 - 24 inches) to the bottom of the frame of the runs and coop and stake it to the ground (or bury it) so predators couldn't dig under and get in. How many chickens do you have? It is a very pretty coop and run!

5. acissej

Jun 2, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    We have 6 and they are all (hopefully) pullets. We are going to add an apron before we move the chicks outside.

The guy who built this said it holds up to 12 chickens, and I kind of laughed. It's only 4x4 (the runs are each 6x4). I'm worried it's not quite big enough for my 6!

6. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Our coop is also made of cedar. We used a cedar stain to protect the wood.

[​IMG]

This is what it looked like when it was first built.

[​IMG]

After sitting around all winter, we were finally able to move it to our farm. The wood had weathered and looked like this.

[​IMG]

7. Timmy

Timmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    texas
    You don't need to paint the ceder, but the ply wood should be painted or sealed.

8. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    What an absolutely adorable coop!! We build coops too... see my sig line for the link. I think attaching the runs would be find unless you plan to move it around... like previous poster said. A predator might be able to pull it away and get inside... unless you plan to lock them up at night.

I would not worry about sanding those rough edges and I would nail some 2x4 pieces on the floor and create a frame around the hole access which will help hold in your shavings.

Have fun and enjoy your new coop [​IMG]

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    4x4 is going to be a tight squeeze for 6 - 12 would be nuts, imo! I've got a cramped coop too - mine is 5x6 and I have eight chickens with 5 more on the way, so I'm already thinking of how to expand it before they grow full sized (and before the others are old enough to get out there) !

I agree with the others, you should stain/seal the wood for better longevity!

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:I include the covered run space as coop square footage. The birds will be outdoors most all the time... even during the coldest days with wind and rain. It may need to be cleaned a bit more but, it'll be fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by