Our coop is nearly finished!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by srfjeld, Jun 30, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I'm hoping we didn't screw up by the placement of our coop. It's right off our back porch, narrowly placed between our house and a brick bldg. Other places in our yard are too close to other neighbors, and more importantly, neighbors dogs. The problem is, it's the dampest part of the yard so I'd love to know what would be best to keep them nice and dry and warm. The hen house shouldn't be a problem, but something will have to be done about their run.

So, for starters, being newbies at this whole chicken thing we had no idea what kind of coop to build. My honey scoured Craigslist for free wood and materials and got quite a stash. He built the most adorable hen house but then it was tough to decide how to best build the run so that it was tall enough for us to walk into as well and big enough for the small space. He got creative and made a "chute" to connect the run to their house.

Here's what we've got:

the run and front of their hen house
    [​IMG]

Chick Chalet with chute to run
    [​IMG]

Front view
    [​IMG]

View of shoot to hen house from inside pen
    [​IMG]

Back of Chick Chalet, door to clean out... the nest boxes are on the left side (not shown)
    [​IMG]

a couple of the girls eating salad in their new digs
    [​IMG]

We still need to finish some things up in their hen house, put up roosts, seal up a few more holes. And we still need to put the clear roof on top of the run to keep them dry. But, that's about it. Our girls are starting to spend time out in the run during the days then we bring them back to their brooder at night. Does this set up look big enough for 6 girls???
    Oh, and we did it at Fort Knox-style as we could. Buried the hardware cloth a foot deep and ran it 3 feet up the sides and around the shoot. I hope there'll be no problems with critters.

Thanks for looking! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
  3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    That looks awesome! I especially love the shoot! Nice job and very creative. [​IMG]

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    That's "chute," guys, not shoot (as in gun). LOL!

5. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Pawsplus, thanks for that correction... I always thought something looked wrong and bad spelling really annoys me! I am a teacher after all. [​IMG] The perfectionist in me (and the edit button) is making me go back and change it!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    looks great! Are you going to free range at all or mainly keep them in the run?

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Yeah that's really cute. I also like the chute. I've never seen one like that. [​IMG]

8. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I don't feel safe letting them completely free range b/c of the big dog next door and flimsy fence, not to mention my little doxie... may be brave when they are a little bigger. For now we are building a large tractor run of sorts to put them in and move around the yard for some greens. Think that will be good enough?

9. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    That is very cute... I like the chute too! We also used gravel/sand under the run, the girls seem to really like it and it's fairly easy to clean (I'm also using it in the coop :) Surprisingly my girls go inside all by themselves as soon as it starts getting dark, a good think cause I'm not sure I could make them go in :)

10. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Oh, and Pawsplus, I like the idea of gravel and sand. I keep thinking about that. But then I hear they really like to peck in the dirt. Will they miss out on anything if I can't let them out in their tractor everyday and stay in their sandy run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by