Our coop is pretty much done!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lizzy14, Jul 29, 2011.

1. lizzy14

lizzy14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Rochester area/WNY
    My dad has built our coop for us, based on my suggestions (for the most part [​IMG]) . He progressed quite quickly, I thought. This is a 4x8 coop roughly based on the Purina free plans. For ventilation, we've got a ~2-inch gap between the roof and the siding, which we plan to staple hardware cloth to, and there are three windows, which I wish were a tad bigger but oh well. The nest boxes are externally mounted, but I'm thinking they might not be deep enough. We are getting large chickens - Welsummers and Wyandottes. The run will be attached to the back of this, 10x10. Anyways, here it is:

[​IMG]
    This end faces our yard and the entire side opens up and the biggest window is on this side.

[​IMG][/img]
    The inside...pardon all the junk.

[​IMG]
    The roosts.

[​IMG][/img]
    The pop-door (which my dad insists on calling the poop door...)

[​IMG][/img]
    Another window and the nest boxes.

2. lizzy14

Jun 9, 2011
    Rochester area/WNY
    We still need to install hardware cloth and finish painting!

3. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    Looks great!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've seen "poop door" used SO many times here on BYC...lol! [​IMG] That always cracks me up. You will be very glad you guys built your clean-out door so big - makes access so much easier/nicer. Have you guys considered dropping boards??? They make clean ups so easy!

5. lizzy14

Jun 9, 2011
    Rochester area/WNY
    Quote:I had to convince my dad to make that entire side on a hinge - I knew (only because of you BYCers;)) that it would make cleaning easier. And yes, instead of boards though, we plan to use a shallow plastic tote. Hopefully we will just be able to take it over to the compost pile and dump or scrape the stuff into there.

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That's a cute little coop, and nice color too [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Looks good when you going to put some critters in it? [​IMG]

8. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    I bet the chickens will love it ......

9. lizzy14

Jun 9, 2011
    Rochester area/WNY
    We are picking our chicks up Aug. 15, and we did things a little backwards - finishing the coop before the brooder! But we have a plan for the brooder anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by