Our coop renovation to add space...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by teach1rusl, Sep 3, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Our coop was 6x8, with a 6x4 chicken porch on the end. I loved the porch, because it was a great place to keep the feeder dry if it rained. However, with 5 chicks in the brooder now, we needed to adjust for chicken math. So we enclosed the chicken porch, and knocked out half of an interior wall to expand to a 6x12 coop. The little 6x4 room has its own roost, so when it's time to integrate, if my big girls are mean, the little ones have their own roost area to retreat to [​IMG] We got a huge (36x54" double hung, double paned window for $25 on CL!!). Once the 5 little ones are added (hopefully around 10-12 weeks of age), that will make 10 birds in this coop, which is plenty [​IMG]

Before - with chicken porch:
    [​IMG]
    After - bye-bye chicken porch [​IMG] (ignore the shutter thing - the sun rises on that side):
    [​IMG]
    Before - wall where pop door WAS:
    [​IMG]
    After - appx. 36 inch doorway where that wall was, and pop door moved...and separate little roost area:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    [​IMG] good job. but don't count on the little area for the little chicks we did that and the big ones took over the small area for there favorite place to be.

3. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

They will probably all crowd in the small area because it will be warmer in the winter! LOL. Smart little stupid birds. I love your coop though.

4. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    That is a beautiful setup. So much green grass

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by