Our coop was made from an old house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ozark hen, Nov 20, 2009.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Here are some pics of our coop. We have an old house, over 100 years old, on the place which my dh transformed into a coop for me. He took two of the downstairs rooms and made one the main coop and the other room a brooder room. he also added a turkey pen to the outside. I cannot seem to add these pics to MY PAGE, so if Nifty sees this.....I would be grateful if he moved them to MY PAGE for me?
    Dh insulated the north and outside walls of these rooms. He has built a summer brooder cage on the floor of the brooder room and a winter brooder box half way up the wall. Lots of lights(energy efficient ones) were added later just so I could see in there. We do not leave them on at night for the chickens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the brooder room with the summer cage. Makes it easy for blending the chicks with the older hens since they are seen and heard daily.
    [​IMG]
    here is the winter brooder box that is half way up the wall. It has a divider in it to be used depending on the amount of chicks. Lights are placed on the screens in the lids.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now the turkey pen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the run with filament wire stretched across the run with blank cd's on it to prevent hawks from swooping down. Never had a hawk try to get in there.
    We place a large round unrolled bale of grass hay on the floor of the run for winter. Provides bugs and worms since the ground does not freeze beneath it and keeps them off the muddy ground. Plus they get to pick the seeds from the hay all winter.
    [​IMG]

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

great use for something that might otherwise just have been torn down & discarded! WTG!

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Wow, that's huge-I'm kind of jealous of all that space!! [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Thanks, he did use everything he could find on the place to build and insulate this building. He just finished reroofing the entire old house and now has stapled feed bags to the entire back side of the old house and then put tin up over all the feed bags. His thinking...."they use to use newspaper to insulate the walls of this old house, I guess feed bags will insulate the outside, too. so the north side of the old house is double insulated. the floors have several inches of shavings on them. I go in there in the hot summer and you can notice the difference in the temp in there. Much cooler than outside. We hang a box fan from the ceiling in front of the north side window in the summer and cover the windows(with the exception of the east window) with plastic during the winter. they are cozy in there. We only hang a light over the waterer (a sixty watt) when the temp gets below freezing in there.

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    That's not a coop, that's a BARN! I'm envious. [​IMG]

6. dlfridie

dlfridie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    That's amazing!! Those chickens are living the good life.
    I checked out your album and totally enjoyed your pics. The turtle and chicken pic is adorable.
    Ofcourse, that German Shepard is handsome. Years ago, I used to have a sable colored one named Stoney.

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

If the old run down house on are property was in better shape, I would do this but it's in bad shape. But it was good to house 2 extra roos in. But I love your idea!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Awesome recycling! I love it! LOL!

How old is that house anyway? Was it your family home? Give a little history if you can.

9. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:Hi, Be glad to share the history on this old house. It was my dh's grandmother's house. She traded it for property she had in Kansas in 1920. My dh's sister and brother were born in that old house. His siblings are twenty years older than he is. It is situated on a ridge near the Ozark Mountains. We live in a house across from the old house in a clearing - in the middle of the 82 acres. I pray I will never have to live in town again!! Dh and I got together in 1987, married in 1995 but lived here with him since 1988. It is the most beautiful place on earth to me. [​IMG] Dh added a kind of garage along the side of it and put red tin up on one side. When he added the garage he found the walls of the old house to straight and true........the house sits on large rocks! We were amazed. The garage sits on the west side of the old house and the chicken run sits on the east side of it. He hopes to turn the last downstair's room into a shop for himself someday.
    [​IMG]
    this pic was from last winter, he just reroofed it this fall with extra tin he had laying around.

[​IMG]

10. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Great looking coop home!!!

Ours are recycled from cotton trailers and greenhouses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by