1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Our coop we just built (aka the mini barn)! Pic Heavy.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by carolinachickie, Jan 9, 2013.

1. carolinachickie

carolinachickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    We just built this coop last week and is now home to my 4 new Silkies. From start to finish....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. absolut247

absolut247 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Oswego, NY
    Looks great. I may use this as a basis for my new coop I'm going to build.
    Thanks.

3. carolinachickie

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    No prob! Go for it. I'm flattered you'd consider it. If you have any questions or need any help please let me know. :)

4. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    Really beautiful coop! Thanks for sharing the progressive epics. Do you have a way to keep their door open on a windy day? Couldn't see from the photos.

5. carolinachickie

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    The door is pretty stiff to open and close but we have talked about adding a latch to keep it open just in case. So far no problems though. Thanks for the tip! :)

6. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    Absolutely. I know early on I twice had a big gust blow our door shut. The girls were locked out and it messed up their laying for the day. Somehow, theyre able to refrain from laying when they are not comfortable with their situation. Causes me to be concerned about them laying internally or becoming egg bound. All of which is a big digression from the point of this thread, which is - great looking coop!!

7. carolinachickie

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thank you for the compliments on our coop! We will most likely be adding a latch for it to stay open just in case because I'd hate for that to happen to mine, especially if they need to get away from a predator like a hawk or something. Also, I wouldn't want them to become egg bound like you mentioned.

8. birdbrain1948

birdbrain1948 Out Of The Brooder

Great-looking coop and much on the order of what we are building soon. The pictures help me visualize the process. Can you please tell me the dimensions and how many chickens you plan on housing there?

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Nice coop!!!

10. birdbrain1948

birdbrain1948 Out Of The Brooder

Great-looking coop and much on the order of what we are building soon. The pictures help me visualize the process. Can you please tell me the dimensions and how many chickens you plan on housing there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by