Our coop. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by babyrnlc, Jan 31, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Is this fine for 6 chickens? The coop is 4x4 and about 4 ft high inside, it has two roost polls that the girls love. The run is 12x4. There are also two nests boxes (on on each side) that are 18inches x 32 inches. We plan on moving it every week, or sooner as needed.

For reference the fence behind is 7ft high

[​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Now if that isn't the most cutest coop, that I have seen in a long time. I love it!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Personally, I feel that's a little on the small side for six chickens. I like to allow 4 square feet per bird inside plus 10 square feet per bird outside as the bare minimums. In my opinion, that setup would might work better for 4 chickens. Some breeds of chickens are able to tolerate close confinement better than others, so if you want to put six chickens in there, just watch out for pecking and squabbling problems.

Where are your coop vents? On the back side?

It looks like you may be using chicken wire on your run, is that right? If so, it's not predator secure, of course, so I expect you lock your chickens inside the coop at night when predator danger is highest. Your run is also vulnerable to predators digging in under the edge (but again this is likely to be more of a night time problem).

You might find adding a tarp or roof of some sort to the run helpful for shade in the summer and to some extent on rainy days.

Cute coop!

4. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Looks like a nice coop and I'm certain your girlz will let you know if it isn't big enough. I doubt you will have to worry to much about predators in your neighborhood, but some shade may be in order, especially in those hot OK summers.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's adorable, though I think small for six standard size hens. I'd put only 3-4 in there.

A hint: you need a lock/latch on your nestbox access because a raccoon can get in any unlocked door. With that coop, he can stand on the roof and hang down and pull it open. Coons have excellent climbing skills and no fence will stop them from getting into a pen, IMO. They will work all night till they find a way to their dinner. Looks like your run is covered with chicken wire and they will tear through that easily.

6. sadies0111

sadies0111 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I know most people will say it is a little small, but I have 6 chickens in that size coop. 5 are standard size, and I hav one tiny silkie. I got them in November, so they have been used to being "cooped up" together, and I haven't had any of the problems that sometimes occur with a too-small coop. Mine will be allowed to free-range once the snow melts, so that will make the small coop a little more tolerable. I am already planning on taking over my hubby's shed when he builds a bigger one, so I can get lots more chickens!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If the chickens are bantams, well, those only count as half of a chicken for space purposes, so depends on what size your birds are. That can easily hold more than 8-10 bantams. It's really a sweet coop!

8. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:We originally had 4 chickens in mind, but we are thinking about going to 6 if there is room.

The vents are under the roof on either side. There is a 2 inch gap that goes the length of the roof.

We are going to put wire around the bottom because anytime we give the chickens any scraps, my lab pushes her way into the coop. She doesn't hurt the chickens, but they get out and I have to get hem in. She has not done it in a few days, so we may have fixed it. I am not too worried about predators in the yard because of the dogs. My german shepherd mix has adopted the chickens. When we first put them in, the other dogs were barking at them and she attacked the dogs that got too close. She circles the run and if the others get to close she barks at them. She sleeps by the coop. I am not sure why she does it, she did the same thing with the rabbits when we had them in that part of the yard.

I was worried about the lab, but when the chickens got out, she ignored them. When I tried to catch them the dogs "helped" me chase them and coral them, but never bit at them. We have the shepherd, the lab and a blue healer.

Though we are going to put hard wire along the bottom, just in case.

Thank you for the suggestions. Oh we do have a tarp that goes almost the whole length of the run and down about 1 foot. We have it on now because we are about to get a lot of snow, we will put it on again in the summer. I had not thought about that!

9. Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Hackmatack Ridge Farm New Egg

Jan 31, 2011
    Very nice work. I like it. Congrats.

10. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:We have latches on both nest boxes as well as weather stripping. It is hard to see in the pictures. It is right by the E in Gertrude

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by