Our coop

Skot

Hatching
Nov 20, 2016
Hi all.
Wanted to post a tour of our coop. I'm open to criticism.
Some construction photos:

I installed 1/2"hardware cloth 12"-18" into the ground around the whole run. Took forever to dig by hand.

A lot of my materials I got from the free section of Craigslist

I had some extra tile laying around

Their first day

A food gauge I'll finish someday

Their side door I almost never shut this. I feel the run is protected enough.

One idea we had for keeping he place clean. Such a pain to keep cleaning.

Rozi and one of our girls, she gets along great with them.

This is today, of course I'll finish it someday.

We've gone with the deep litter method. Love it.

It was my girlfriends idea to put the litter up off the floor. It Eliminates drafts hitting them while perched. We also used 2x3 for their perch. When they sit, they cover the whole foot with their feathers. Reducing the chance for frostbite.

The run is about 160 sqft. 70 covered and where he food and water is kept. He rest is exposed but protected. They even have their own jungle gym to hang out on. (Another free CL find)

I'll update this thread later. I have questions and answers if I get questions

Your coop and run are looking pretty good!

One thing...it appears you are using chicken wire for the run (sorry if I'm wrong about that). If that's what you are using, it won't keep predators from getting to your chickens, they'll go right through it. And since their coop door is usually left open, a predator that goes through the chicken wire will have access to the birds in the coop.

Again, if I'm not seeing your set up correctly, I apologize.

Coop looks nice. I agree about the chicken wire though. A raccoon or most other predators will have no problem ripping through it. If you are able to get hardware cloth or even welded 2 x 3 fencing it is a lot stronger than chicken wire.

Welcome to BYC!
What is your climate?
Putting your location in your profile will help folks give better answers/suggestions.

Agrees about the chicken wire...I'd be closing and locking that pop door every night.

Not sure the reason to put the litter up off the floor, except the bottom of pop door is too close to floor.
Might want to think about a poop board.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...raphic-gross-poop-pictures/1100#post_13179595

I'd suggest reading up on Ventilation, doesn't look like you have any up high where it is needed most.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts
This is a great video showing air flows, tho the roost in that coop is way to close to ceiling(not good).

Back
Top Bottom