1. winchesterva

winchesterva Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2009
    Winchester
    We don't have chickens -- yet, but are preparing for them in the spring. We found this coop on Craigslist (we are not very handy) and we now are trying to predator proof it and build a run. Just wanted to share it, we are getting exicted about having chickens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Looks good!! Seems like ya'll are off to a good start!! [​IMG]

Missi

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow! Good find! [​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I see you have put down wire in the run itself. Unless you are going to cover that with a LOT of dirt, it's going to hurt the chickens feet when they try to scratch.

May I suggest you just extend out the "skirt" you have put on the outside of the run. Mine is 2ft of wire that's tied to the bottom of the run with hog rings. Then it's covered with a bunch of mulch.We actually surrounded it with landscape timbers and built flower beds on the outside of the run. (not that that stopped them from eating all the flowers)

ETA--good score on the coop!!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. acdoc

acdoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    shenadoah valley
    good find.. Wanted to say hello Im pretty close to you if you need anything.

6. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing but about the chickens and their dust baths. I am always filling holes that are 10-12 inches deep from dust bathing.

7. winchesterva

winchesterva Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2009
    Winchester
    Thanks for all the kind words. We were pretty excited about the coop since as I mentioned we are not very handy.

CoyoteMagic: We do have hardware cloth on the bottom and will extend it out about 2 feet on all sides. Our plan is to cover the hardware cloth on the inside with dirt, leaves, grass clippings, mulch, etc to about 6 to 8 inches deep (hope that is deep enough?) so that it does not hurt their feet. We also have landscape timbers that will border the run on all sides.

We plan to put an extended run on this, sort of a hoop design I found here on BYC, we will not cover the bottom of that with hardare cloth. And I suspect they will spend most of their time in the extended run or free ranging. We covered the floor of the extisting run because the coop will be within that run and it was just extra precaution. We have a little bit of everything as far as predators are concerned so we wanted to be sure nothing got in.

ACDOC: Greeting from Winchester, thanks for the shout out, nice to know there are other BYC'ers close by!!!

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Very nice coop

9. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I am very impressed! you don't even have chickens yet!! It's kinda funny most people on here get chickens first and then think about building something, me included.... [​IMG]

Connie

10. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Congratulations on your great coop find and your upcoming brood! Looks like your girls will be well protected from predators. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by