Our Coop ...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Foleys, May 13, 2010.

1. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    As some may know that we are new to raising chickens. I just wanted to see what people think about our coop.. Keep in mind that as it may be small we only have in total 5 chickens, and have yet to have any eggs.

[​IMG]

2. pj_elia

pj_elia Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Northern NJ
    It looks somewhat functional but it depends on your weather and the predators that you have.

3. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Well we live in north GA so it dont get much cold here and I am not quite sure what predators we have yet. Can you suggest some things that we can do to improve it?

Quote:

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:You might find out quick enough unless you make your run out of more sturdy materials. Can you make a braced wood structure and wrap it tightly in hardware cloth?

5. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:we dont really live in a place whre there are to many predators i dont think. should i just pot more wood braces between the posts? Can you make a braced wood structure and wrap it tightly in hardware cloth?

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello. I in no way want to hurt your feelings, but I think that you're in for trouble....any predator can get under that netting and take your chickens for a meal. Spring time is the time of parents feeding their young......

Just consider at least being able to lock them into their coop securely at night. I don't see a lockable door on the coop......I hate to see you come out one evening and find nothing left but feathers......

Predators include, coons, possums, skunks, snakes, foxes, dogs or cats.....those would all find their way into your coop through that netting.

Good luck to you! Check out the coop section for ideas!

Sharon

7. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Your nest boxes look really well built and it's great that you covered the top! Perhaps you could add on a bit... Maybe pull the nest boxes away from the wall and add to the boxes themselves something like a mini coop they can go into at night with a lockable door for better protection? And like others mentioned before, hardware clothand probably some more support around the run. Don't give up! some tweaking and additions and you'll never have to worry about your babies getting munched on! [​IMG] Ok, that's a lie, but you'll have to worry a whole lot less... [​IMG] Keep up the good work!

Sarah

8. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Hello Sarah,
    Thank you for your suggestions and we will be taking that into consederation. What do you think anout if put steaks around the bottom of the netting?
    Quote:

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  9. Foleys

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    I am new to this but what is hardwear cloth never heard of it before and where can I get some?
    Quote:

10. holachicka

holachicka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Folsom, CA
    Hey, I'm somewhat new myself! Hardware cloth is welded wire mesh, very strong and usually 1/4 by 1/4 inch, or 1/2 by 1/2 inch. you can get it at home depot, lowes, builder supply stores, some feed stores... It can be expensive so shop around a bit. The reason for it is that the fencing you have allows for some predators to reach in and snag your girls. If you add this along the bottom, and even bury it a little bit it will help prevent the snagging, and other preds from digging under. Chicken wire is tempting to use along the bottom because it's small too, but I've heard that the predators will just cut through it like butter.

When others and myself were mentioning more support, I was suggesting something like this framework for the run to staple your existing fencing to... That way if something comes a calling, they won't mess up you fence and find a way through by crawling on top...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=38201

Of course you have to find what works best for you, and these are only suggestions!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by